Secrets // Steve Rogers

The compound was blanketed in perfect silence and rare serenity, devoid of movement or signs of life. Every corridor a barren abyss of darkly shiny surfaces, the place still managed to seem homely to those who'd found their way there and had remained. It was when Bea left the confines of her bedroom and just drifted purposelessly, bare feet silent on the tiled floor and fingertips light against the walls. She exhaled softly on her way through the kitchen, to the offices behind, to where she loved to be when sleep was a faraway, whimsical notion she knew she'd not get acquainted with anytime soon. She fell inelegantly into her swivel chair, slowly spinning to face the desk and stopping herself from going further with the side of her foot against the filing cabinet. Her laptop provided quiet mood music and a dull glow cast over her body and through the gap in the ajar door into the hall.

   It's what Steve spotted, when he crept into the kitchen to make himself coffee. He'd woken up in a cold sweat from a dream he couldn't recall, but it must've been bad - he knew he was going to remain conscious until the next night. He decided to just have an early start and go about his day like normal, even thought it was just gone one in the morning and Tony would probably have a fit when he heard him walking around.

   A borderline inaudible knock sounded on the door and Bea looked over her shoulder, hurriedly spitting out the hair that got in her mouth (she had no idea how it always managed to get it there, but she did. It was a talent).

   "Come in." She called softly, and the door opened fully to reveal Steve, illuminated by the warm light from the computer. Bea smiled at him.

   "I thought I saw something."

   "That'd be me, I guess."

   "What's up?" Steve asked, shutting the door with a click and dragging another swivel chair over, sitting with his chest against the back and legs either side. Bea cleared her throat nervously. She had no idea why he made her anxious - she'd known him her whole life, after he came out of the ice, but even before that she'd dressed up in her parents' best attempt at a Captain America costume for Halloween, birthday parties, any excuse she could find. The crush had come about quickly, as it happened. One day, when she watched him leave and Nat jokingly asked if she thought he was "something", she realised she absolutely did (she just kicked Nat off the sofa in answer - she'd be damned if people thought she actually had EMOTIONS). Bea didn't know what caused the sudden adoration. Maybe it was the way his muscles swelled beneath his shirt, the way he smiled so perfectly when she floored him during sparring, the way his unfairly soft skin brushed her own and neither one of them tried to move away-

   "Can't sleep, that's all," she murmured, "You?"

   "Just the same."

   "Did you hear about Tony earlier?" Bea asked, drawing her legs up to her chest and wrapping her arms around them.

   "What time?"

   "Um... 5 this morning, I'd say."

   "Oh, no, I was out."

   "Running?"

   "Yeah."

   "Basically, I hear this clatter coming from his lap, and so I'm like, damn you Tony, because I was sleeping, so I decide to see what woke me. I go through the vents into his lab because Clint taught me the easiest routes and the door's locked. I just look through the bars so I can see, and what do you fucking know, Tony was sleepwalking, and he was doing weird shit."

   "What kinda weird shit?" Steve asked, grinning a little.

   "Wakanda weird shit?" Bea repeated, just to get the pun in, "I saw three things, and two of them were just him drinking coffee and bumbling about, but JUST as I was gonna leave, he bumps into a suit, and he's steps back all confused and whatever, then he kinda squares up to it, asking if it wants to go, and then he draws back his fist and just decks the thing, and obviously the suit's pretty clever, so next thing you know, Tony's on the floor being pinned there by the suit, and... and..." Bea didn't finish, just continuing to laugh with Steve, the both of them covering their mouths to veil the noise.