Don't Go Breaking My Heart // Chris Evans

The bustle of tired actors functioning solely on coffee and the croissants brought in by the ever-giving director was drowned out swiftly by the opening theme activated by your elbow. Everyone jumped, those you knew with hangovers groaned, and you quickly switched it off with an apologetic smile which no-one but the director returned. Chris was a total sweetheart, and that was likely because you were just as lost as him - of course you knew how to do lighting, you'd done your course, you weren't stupid, but all the actors made you so nervous you almost threw up every morning. You knew this was Chris' first directing gig, so you'd related with him about all this newness on the first party with everyone involved, and that had formed something of a bond. You didn't need to do any research to know who he was; any idiot could tell you, albeit not by name but by face, who played Captain America, and it was the man who was now wearing sweatpants with a formal shirt and had a thick 5 o'clock shadow stood in front of the cast, all of which sprawled across the auditorium. His steps received instant silence, and you envied the respect they had for him. Then again, you probably just envied his job: you didn't know many girls who strived to operate sound in theatre, but you could say without hesitation that you weren't one of them. The jealously, of course, was only involuntary, because the whole way through the preparation of the production he'd been nothing but a darling to you, and he was probably the only person you could class as a friend on the set right now. He threw you a quick half-smile, somehow instantly spotting you from where you were sat in your booth, and your stomach did a little flip.

"Morning, everyone," He said slowly, and you quickly leaned over one of the lighting guys to switch on a spotlight on Chris. He grinned at you, and a couple of the actors briefly turned to glare, "So, it's the final show tonight, and I think I'd just better say that I'm proud of you all. I was so scared that you were all going to beat the crap outta me for being a bad director," everyone laughed, "But all the bumps and all the bad stuff, they've lead up to this moment: knowing you're never going to have to sing Don't Go Breaking My Heart every single morning with me," everyone laughed again and Chris held up his coffee cup, "So a quick toast to the actors, to the producers, to the lighting guys, and to y/n. To this weird little family." Everyone raised their various cups and breakfast items, echoing his final line, and you quickly raised your glass of water, just managing to meet eyes with Chris while you both toasted. You smiled and looked away.

"Alright, come on, one last time, everyone up and on stage please!" Chris hollered and everyone got up slowly, groaning but still smiling, while Michael started the same song you all listened to far too loudly every morning before beginning rehearsal. You paused for a second, watching Chris smile at people and return high fives, then he turned to you and beckoned. You paused, almost got up from your chair, then shook your head and sunk back down. Michael left, ruffling your hair limply on his way out, and Chris stayed staring at you. See, here's the thing: what's the point in dancing with people who dislike you on a stage you sort of wish you could perform on when you can just do the exact same thing alone in the smelly, dark booth? Rhetorical, of course - there isn't a point. But when you looked up after embarrassedly hanging your head and putting on faint strobe lights to better the party mood on stage, Chris had disappeared. You blinked, eyes darting through the crowd to try and find him, when someone knocked on the door.

"Come in." You invited distractedly, not taking your eyes off the people moving as energetically as their hangovers would allow in your attempt to find Chris. The door opened, closed, and someone pulled up a chair beside you. You spun your chair round to them, keeping your eyes on the crowd for a second longer, then jumped a little when you saw Chris smiling back at you. You smiled back and pulled your sweater cuffs over your hands.

"Morning." You said as cheerfully as you could.

He smiled, and you wondered if being blinded by beauty was an actual, genuine phenomenon, because you very suddenly could see nothing but him (not that you were complaining).

"No offence, but I don't really see the allure of this booth." He stated, glancing around. You leaned back in your chair.

"What, why? This place is gorgeous, I never wanna leave, I have to tear myself away when I need to go home!" You replied sarcastically, grinning at him. You knew his play - he was gonna ask you why you didn't come out and dance with everyone else and you'd make it fucking awkward - but you were just sort of glad you could make fun of the booth, because that booth was fucking AWFUL to be in. Not only did it contain creepy Michael, unresponsive Dan and e-girl Angie, but it stunk to high heaven and was decorated with posters of a completely unknown rock band from the noughties that all the lighting people liked. Anytime spent out of that booth was time sent from heaven.

"I hate to know I have to be outside in that clean, nice-smelling auditorium all day when I could be hanging out in here!"

You both laughed and continued the sarcastic exchange for a while, you appreciating his company simply because you never got to appreciate anyone's, it felt like. Don't Go Breaking My Heart finished and Another One Bites The Dust began, and Chris took that as a cue to push your chair with his foot, and you braced yourself for the probing.

"Wanna dance?"

"I just- what?"

Chris stood and held out his hand. "It's the last day we're gonna be able to do this, we might as well." He stated, then grinned, "Please don't go breaking my heart and leave me hanging."

"I'm so tempted to let you bite the dust for that, Chris." You said back, then took his hand, stood and started to dance. It wasn't the nicest sight to see - he was doing tap, you were doing the most basic combination of ballet, street and bedroom-sassy-dancing - but it was fun, and you kept it going through that song, through I'm Every Woman, through Tainted Love, until finally you stopped when Jolene started, wheezing and sat on the floor.

"You know how," you breathed, swiping sweat from your forehead, "You said this was the last time we'd be able to do this? Well, does that mean that we're never gonna like, talk or anything after this play?"

Chris lifted his head from the floor. "Of course we're gonna talk after this."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I just meant we'd never be able to dance in this smelly lighting booth ever again."

You both giggled, then Chris took your hand and your heart burst out your chest.

"You're really sweet, y/n, and I'm sorry that I can't make anyone else see it."

You shrugged, then smiled shyly. "I don't need anyone else to: you do, that's enough for me."

~~~~~

regarding the gif:

dat ass tho

and today i went to alton towers so yea i'm fucking exhausted and so therefore this is bad but Suck It Up i guess

i'm trying (and failing) to write a synopsis to send to my english lang teacher (he's a published author) and i just cannot do it

also: i'm learning how to do all the techy backstage stuff as an extra gcse and i started writing this chapter during a session so yee yee

anyways i should sleep but please can someone request something i'm completely idealess lmao

all love

viv x