Vegas // Bucky Barnes

One thing you didn't expect when going to Las Vegas in February was the warmth; even now in the middle of the night the breeze is balmy and slides sluggishly over your skin. The sun shines until late night and comes back before you're even awake, the heat from it never really leaving at all. Long nights are spent sprawled on the starched white covers of the frumpy hotel bedroom, one leg dangling off the edge of the bed and forearms resting on the headboard. Clothes are minimal and light, time in the hotel pool is excessive and whenever you can be bothered you and Bucky dawdle around the strip, looking at ceilings with renaissance art on them and buses with topless strippers on them. You've been all around the world and nowhere feels this nice this time of year.

You're still wearing the same thin midi skirt, vest top and borrowed jacket as you were earlier in the day, no need to change because any temperature drop was entirely unnoticeable. Bucky is wearing his bulky jumper as per usual, but he is wearing dad-shorts and sneakers with it. You had never seen him so casual in your life and the sunglasses really top it all off - he keeps hitching them up his nose by scrunching it up, never detaching his hand from yours or using the other to do it because any movement would release a stench so pungent everyone in a mile radius would faint.

The fountains still have three and a half minutes before they start up again so you're pressed up against the stone border surrounding the water, waiting. It's child's-drawing blue and rippling, and Bucky is softly murmuring about how pretty it is, though the murmuring is mostly Russian. Maybe he isn't really talking about the water, but when he whispers things like "I don't think it's anywhere near as pretty as you," and "I could stare at it for hours and still wouldn't be anywhere close to being so stunning," you just have to assume he is. His arms are around your shoulders, the fingers of his right hand resting on your collarbone beneath the jacket. His fingers are hot but still soothing, lightly pressing against you when they glide over your skin.

The Cosmopolitan scraper across from where you and Bucky are stood is lit up, and on a screen atop it are varying pairs of disembodied eyes, covered in makeup and glancing around. They're all the same, just with longer spaces between the glances and eyeshadow colours. That is the only light with any kind of notable brightness; all the street lamps seem dull and drab, and even that screen doesn't seem too spectacular. Beneath the water are tiny lights used to illuminate the sprays of water coming in now less than a minute. They're not all that astounding either.

Bucky presses a kiss to the crown of your head, keeping his lips there when he mumbles something else that you can't translate. You run your hand over his forearm and lean back further into him; his arms draw you in tighter.

The song previously playing - something new, with a bad beat and annoyingly catchy lyrics - switches to one that sounds like vintage cigarettes and red lipstick and poker with mob bosses. Bucky hums a little.

"Do you know it?" You whisper, watching as the water begins to arch upwards.

"It sounds familiar." Bucky replies, just as soft and finished with another kiss.

You both watch the water as it dances for the duration of the song, light spray of what remains fluttering back to your face to dust it with blissful cold.

You watch until it has finished, then you go back to the hotel.

~~~~~

oop i'm back

i was in america all last week and i'm still feeling all funky and jet lagged

i'm obsessed with you (the show, not you specifically)

would ten outta ten let joe take me bed shopping and kill my boyfriend

i watched it on the plane and it hasn't left my mind since

i was (predictably) in vegas for some of my time in america which is where this fic comes from

i'm finishing this on the tram because it feels like i've been writing it forever n i do have to actually post here lmao

all love,

viv x