Picnic // Peter Parker

Y/n's skirt ripples when she wades through the high grass, hands at waist height to brush against the tops of the healthy grass. Peter watches her in admiration, smiling when she trips but giggles and keeps walking, blushing when she spins around to murmur how pretty the sky looks right now, reaching for her hand when she sighs in content. He wants to absorb the happiness she feels, let it seep into his veins until he is poisoned with her peace. She glances over her shoulder and her eyes are soft and he can see the adoration on her face as clear as day.

"We're almost here," she says, voice barely needing to be more than a whisper to be heard over this delicious, silent nothing, "I think."

But they know it doesn't matter where they are; Peter would follow her to the ends of the earth, and she wouldn't hesitate to do the same.

The grass gets abruptly shorter, cut down into a circle. It looks like a crop circle but Peter knows aliens have more pressing things going on than cutting patterns in plants on Earth. Y/n spins a circle before she sits, just like a cat. The setting sun slathers her skin in gold, like an angel. The grass that once seemed vibrant and alive dies beside her, knowing it cannot compare, but she is so gracious to smile at Peter, oblivious to her own beauty.

"How'd you find this place?" Peter asks, realising that they won't use the blanket he brought and putting out his food. Pepper packed it for him; it's like a goodie bag, every container holding some other treat. She packed everything she knows y/n loves; she's a good wing woman like that.

"I went trekking a few days ago to clear my head," she starts, sighing and lying back. Her hair fans out beneath her, a halo, "And I found it. It made me think of Signs so I knew you'd love it."

Peter doesn't process what she says, watching y/n's chest rise and fall while the grass sways around them. They talk, and they eat. Y/n stands and dashes behind the fronds of grass to pretend she's an alien, speaking her "alien language" and fighting Peter while both of them try not to laugh. Then Peter does the same, y/n hitching up her skirt and using half a baguette as her sword. The smiles on their faces make their cheeks hurt, less visible when the sky darkens but still emanating enough warmth to know they remain plastered on each other's faces.

"I think I want to die." Y/n says, lying directly beside Peter. He glances at her in worry and she looks back; she still wears her smile.

"Because I don't think I'll ever feel this happy again. You make my life so bright, Peter. I- I..."

Peter's heart bounces from his throat to his chest a couple of times before he speaks. "You...?"

"I love you." Y/n whispers, savouring the honeyed taste of the phrase when it trickles from her tongue, so subtle yet so glaring. Peter looks up at the sky, unable to look anywhere else. She loves him - she said so.

"I love you. I love you." He murmurs back, not daring look at her. He has thought it so many times, but now he tells her, it seems absurd. The sky above him sprinkles stars like paint splatters on a canvas, accidental and intentional and unnoticeable. Her hand rustles in the grass when it finds his. Her hands are smooth and dry against his own clammy ones but she squeezes.

"I love you."

"I love you."

"I love you."

Back and forth until it makes no sense and they're breathlessly forcing it into one word, heads swimming. Peter sits up, finally, still mumbling the mantra, and leans down to press a kiss to y/n's lips. She tastes like strawberries and chocolate milkshakes. Now there is silence again, but every repetition of that phrase flits through the air, so eager to land. He grabs the blanket and lies back down. Y/n doesn't need him to say anything; she shuffles closer and puts her head on his chest while the blanket is clumsily arranged over them both.

"I love you, Peter Benjamin Parker." Y/n breathes. Her head moves with his chest, faster when his heart starts pounding. Hearing it addressed directly to him is grounding. His hand makes it way to her hair and he plays with it gently.

Her breathing slows and he realises she's fallen asleep, but he doesn't want to wake her. He stays supporting her head, that sentence in every inhale and exhale. He intends to get up at some point, but he can't help falling asleep. It feels natural with her, even in a field, even in his clothes, even with shoes on.

He loves her.

She loves him.

There's nothing more to it.

~~~~~

aww cute

i wrote this in half an hour but i love it !

granted there are mistakes here there n everywhere

but for half an hour it's not too bad :)

i'm trying to catch up on my missed schoolwork and it isn't going well at all but i'm trying my best lol

i feel really lonely™️

i don't even know if it's a relationship-lonely or just

hug-lonely

eesh i just want a hug

it's super late for me, i'm going to see if i can cram some more bio in before i go to bed

i hope u all stay safe and hydrated-

go get some water now! this is a sign to do it, hydrate urself

-and sleep well. the world belongs to you and you deserve nothing less

all love,

viv x