Chapter 22

I look at Summer with my eyebrows raised, she shrugs her shoulders and keeps signing few important documents. I was currently in Park Enterprises, it's been two days since my friends visited me and they checked on me every second of these past two days. Dad hasn't shown any improvement and I'm afraid he might slip into Coma, so far the doctors haven't detected any danger and I still was holding on to hope. Mom was torn seeing dad in such a vulnerable state. She always had something to say to me, sometimes she would reminisce about her college times and tell me how dad perused her, impressed her despite my mom's constant no's. she would have a good laugh about it, her eyes would well up but she would still smile at me.

I have grown a lot closer to mom, she had lot of things to say to me and one could guess that she was missing dad. Her nonchalant facade was slipping, that side of her which had a beat for my dad started showing, my prayers were finally heard.

Summer, paid her visits to hospital and often times I find her looking extremely stressed. I would sit with her and talk to her. I suddenly feel that god has blessed me with an elder sister who took care of all of us like her family, I couldn't be more grateful.

Six days passed and I'm slowly coming back to reality, it was time, I have to pay the price. Summer knew this and kept on giving me secret glances while my mom did not choose  to reveal any of her emotions. Right now, I kept pestering Summer..asking about the cost of the total medicines that she has been spending for dad. She refused to say a word and shrugged her shoulder at it.

"Have you met Mr.Anthony Rodriguez, since you know..I have signed it?"

She tucks her black curly hair behind her ear. And gives me a hesitant no. Summer and I haven't talked much about my supposed Marriage but things grew awkward between us whenever we talked about...I think she feels extremely guilty about it, because she was the one who took the pain and said a yes for my marriage. She fears for my safety. She feared my wrath too, and honestly  after everything she had done for my dad, I don't think I can be angry at her.

"Nevaeh—
She massages her temples

—it's just four days away now" oh I remember it, when world reminds you that fact every second of the day,you remember it. Media kept talking about it, everyone I have came across in the hospital had some opinion about it..it just became a hot topic. There were countdowns for it now and I couldn't help but feel disgusted and maybe, a little scared. I will be a married women, when I think about it in the context of what I'm doing for dad..somehow I get enough strength to face it. But at times, when I'm alone I often wonder how will I survive with it? How will I survive being his wife for an year. I had no clue why Mr.Rodriguez needed a wife and I wasn't interested in knowing it too,as long as he doesn't claim his husbandly rights I'm good.

"Nevaeh, thank you for doing this..I'm so sorry—

"Summer not again"

"I know..I just wanted to let you know that if I would have been in your place, I probably would have run away. You are brave"

"Running away would do me no good, and where will I run Summer? Rodriguez's are everywhere and I somehow have a feeling they won't accept betrayals."
She sighs.

"You will have to finalise your bridal gown. Mr.Rodriguez has sent few designer pieces"

"I don't care as long as I'm wearing white" she doesn't say anything and gets back to her work.

"dad's going to be alright? Right?" Summer's eyes soften and she gives me a optimistic smile.

"He will definitely be alright. Mr.Whitlock is a fighter" I smile at her words. That's true.