Chapter 7

(Warning: This chapter mentions abuse.)

Eugeo's POV

I had just finished hanging up my wet clothes to dry, Kirito was still upstairs and I hadn't gone to see him since he went up there. I could hear no footsteps though, meaning that he was hopefully just sitting on my bed... I decided I should probably join him, as I still want to know why he wasn't at school today, but seemed perfectly healthy and he still wanted to see me.
I walked slowly towards the stairs, my heart beat quickened as negative thoughts flooded my mind.
What if he's already seen that note?
What if he breaks off our friendship because... because I love him?
...I really do love him, huh?
I had just made it to my door, and I slowly reached for the handle hesitating before opening it. I looked to my left, Kirito was sitting on my bed... but my room?
Lots of stuff had moved, there was no longer any rubbish on the floor and the empty bottles had been put by the door to be taking for recycling. My desk didn't have any crumpled up paper on it, and my books were neatly arranged. I inwardly panicked, wondering were my 'secret' note was now, hopefully in the bin and hadn't been read.
I looked over to Kirito, who was sat peacefully on my bed with his phone in his hands. He looked up at me and smiled.
"You took your time Eugeo." He said, his voice was soft and gentle, making me drop all my worries. I walked up to him, still a bit surprised because of my now tidy room.
"A-ah, Sorry... You tidied my room...?" I mumbled, feeling a bit guilty for leaving him alone for so long.
"Yeah... I couldn't just leave it like that." Kirito replies simply, a smile spreading across his face. I did feel like there was something he wasn't telling me, but I'm just a person who worries a lot so we'll never know.
I started to walk over to my desk, expecting to have a little snoop, just in case Kirito had moved anything too important. But I was stopped by Kirito, who had stood up and put a finger onto my chest.
"We need to talk Eugeo." He said, suddenly very serious, fear got the best of me, and I began to tremble. Kirito seemed to notice, and he pushed me slightly onto the bed. We were now sitting side by side, I wasn't looking at him but I could tell Kirito was looking at me.
"Eugeo... What's been going on? Why was your room a mess? And why do you have bottles of empty vodka?" He questioned, putting a hand on my shoulder. I flinched at his touch, it was a pretty obvious flinch and I'm pretty sure Kirito noticed. I slowly looked up at him, my face was emotionless, but I was still trembling in fear... Kirito was still waiting for me to answer, and he gave me a supportive smile.
"It's a long story..." I whispered out, my voice barely audible. Kirito didn't say anything, most likely was just waiting for me to continue. I took a shaky breath and decided to tell him... half of the truth.
"I had a breakdown the other night, that's all... it isn't regular though Kirito." I said, trying to keep my voice steady. I looked directly into his eyes, the eyes which looked calm in every situation... the eyes that I fell in love with...
I didn't notice the tears which had started to run down my cheeks, until Kirito bought a hand to the side of my face and wiped them away.
"It's okay to have a wobble sometimes Eugeo... but you know you could have just sent me a text?" He whispered, hand still resting on my cheek.
"I was too drunk Kirito-kun." I laughed out, my voice breaking slightly. I didn't want to tell him about my feelings yet... there was also a lot he still doesn't know about me.

- Flashback -

"Eugeo sweetie! We need to have a little chat." Called my mum from downstairs. I was currently in my bedroom, admiring the view of Tokyo from my window.
I left the room and went down the stairs, were my mum was. She was sat comfortably on the sofa, a space beside her where I was to sit. I walked over and sat beside her, smiling the whole time.
"What is it mum?" I asked, curious. Her mood seemed to drop and she looked away while speaking.
"I'm afraid we are going to have to leave Tokyo..." She said.
At first I was a little shocked, but then I realised that I didn't really have any friends in Tokyo, and it had been a year since Alice left.
My mum continued speaking.
"Your father has got out of control... this is the only way we can escape. As an eighteen year old boy I hope you understand that he can't keep treating you like this, and all that stuff he did when you were only 15? I'm stupid to have not moved any sooner... The beatings he gives you now... I-I am too weak to stop them Eugeo." She said, tears now rushing down her face, having a meltdown. I wrapped my arms around her, giving her a comforting hug.
"It's okay mum... I understand, and this will give us a huge opportunity to be free and do what we want." I said, my voice quivering slightly.
My father wasn't always horrible... he was the one that taught me to ride a bike, climb trees, and even fix skateboards for my friends. It was only when I told him about my sexuality of course... he always wanted me to have a beautiful wife, and he had always said Alice was perfect for me.
The day I told him I was gay... was petrifying... the first thing he said to me was 'That's pathetic!'.
After a few weeks the insults became regular, and he eventually got bored of them. The first night I got hit... I will always remember.
He had come home with a group of friends, completely wasted. My mum was still at the hospital, as her job was a nurse. I would always have the responsibility to lock the door when everyone was home, which meant staying up till about twelve at night.
That night my dad walked in, they went straight to the kitchen and got more alcohol out of the fridge.
I remember one of his friends saying 'Is that the fag?' When he saw me.
The night continued with numerous insults, but when his friends left... I was left alone with him.
As a heavily drunk man, it was scary to see him walking up to me with an empty bottle in his hand. It was almost like I knew what was to happen, and like I thought, he did it. He ended up throwing the empty glass bottles at me, then moved onto elbowing me in the chest, then finally he had got me into the corner of the room with a belt...
I didn't want to think about that man anymore, and moving will be the best thing to ever happen to us.

- End of flashback -

I hadn't noticed just how long time had passed, I must have spaced out so long that I fell asleep... I was now lying on my bed, with Kirito lying next to me in a tight, comforting embrace.

"I love you Kirito..." I whispered, hoping he wasn't awake.

——