Chapter 10

Eugeo's POV

I had just told Kirito about how I was hospitalised... he didn't say anything but instead started leading me towards a near by cafe. Kirito's face was full of concern and I could tell he wanted to know why, I guess I should tell him... and I do trust him, with all my heart, I'm just scared for what the reaction will be. I'm going to have to tell him everything, starting from the beginning.
We walked into the cafe, Kirito leading, and sat down at a table near the back. There were hardly any people here, which explained why Kirito chose this place. A waiter appeared at the table and asked us what we would like.
"I'll have a coffee... Eugeo?" Kirito said, looking in my direction.
"I'll have the same, but with extra milk please..." I replied, still inwardly freaking out about having to explain everything to Kirito.
The waiter nodded and walked away to get our drinks. I couldn't help but look around the room, forcing myself to avoid eye contact with Kirito so I could have a bit more time to think. I admired the wallpaper, the curtains, the wooden floor, everything! But I knew what was to come as the waiter was back with our drinks, I took a few deep breaths and turned my head back towards Kirito. The drinks were placed on the table and I immediately felt the atmosphere get a bit more serious. I picked up the cup with both of my hands using the heat from it to calm my nerves. I took a long, slow sip feeling the hot liquid burn my tongue before moving down to warm up my insides.
I looked up at Kirito who was also drinking his coffee, but we shared the occasional glance towards each other as we tried to find the right words to say.
I decided to take the lead, I placed my cup down firmly, drawing the attention of Kirito.
"You're probably wondering why, why was I hospitalised? I will tell you... but it's a long story." I said, my voice didn't break and I kept up the image to be brave, but on the inside I was terrified to tell him. The thing I'm worried about the most is how Kirito was going to react... I just hope that he doesn't freak out or treat me differently...
"Hey... it's okay Eugeo, I'm not forcing you to tell me but I will always be here to talk to and I will always listen." He replied, his voice was soft and angelic, giving me the push I needed to tell him everything.
I had to start from the beginning.
"It all started when I was about 15... I lived in Tokyo, as you know, and I had a really close friend called Alice... We did everything together and we would always protect each other when one of us were in trouble. I had everything, she was the best person I could have ever met... When we were older she fell in love with me, but she knew I was gay. Her attitude never changed and she continued to respect me and be there for me. But one day... one day she had to leave. She left Tokyo, she probably left Japan all together... and I was left alone." I began, my voice was quite. But Kirito carried on listening.
"The, t-the main reason I was hospitalised was because of my dad..." I said. Kirito flinched and looked me in the eyes, he needn't say anything for I could tell he was already concerned, and I didn't want him to treat me differently... I continued speaking.
"As you know, being gay isn't really... Normal. There will always be people who poke and mock, pushing others over the edge... Just like what my dad did. He was homophobic, so telling him I was gay? It didn't go well... My dad would beat me all the time... but he never beat me before the age of 18, I was put in a coma for something else he did..." My head dropped as I recalled the memories, I felt Kirito move a little closer to me, encouraging me to continue.
"I was 15, my dad knew about my sexuality through my mum, even though I told her not to tell him, she did it by accident... He was always drunk... so you could tell when something was going to happen. One night he had brought all his friends over, they were drinking and gambling, fighting... that's when they got me involved... All I did... I-I only came downstairs for five minutes..." I stopped talking, my voice began to break and tears started to run down my cheeks. Kirito stood up quickly and sat right beside me, he grabbed both of my hands and looked me in the eyes.
"Eugeo... you've got this far, I'm so proud of you. If you can't continue it's okay." He said, his eyes were full of pity, but he was smiling reassuringly. I shook my head and wiped away my tears, I had to tell him everything now.
"It's okay Kirito..." I gulped. "My dad was in the kitchen, mixing drinks with all sorts of weird things. I think you can tell we're this is headed... him and his friends had caught me and made me sit with them, I was only 15 at the time so I wasn't really that open, talking wasn't my strong suit... I'm going to have to miss out some details, and making it long story short, he had basically poisoned me... I know it's a lot to take in, but I had severe alcohol poisoning which had began to get life threatening... and the only way to stop me from dying was an induced coma... it's pretty good to tell someone about this finally... my dad didn't get charged, he lied about everything and told the police that I had been drinking from my own will and just took it too far. The reason I was stuck in the coma for so long was because I just didn't wake up, my body nearly gave up multiple times. It was that day the doctors found out I had a respiratory disease, and the doctors had not only saved me from alcohol poisoning but from that aswell... The way I'm saying this makes it sound like my dad saved me, but I guess it was just luck. Huh... now I'm saying this out loud there is actually a lot of things you don't know about me. I'm glad to have told you though. Do you have any questions you want to ask me?" I finished, my voice only broke once. I looked up at Kirito who had tears in his eyes, I moved my hand towards his face and wiped away the tears.
"Eugeo... you're so strong..." Was all Kirito said. I just smiled and rubbed his cheek slightly.
I was then pulled into a tight hug, Kirito had wrapped his arms around my waist and his head was resting on my shoulder. I started to shake, and I finally let myself cry.

God, the tears felt good when I was with someone else.

——