Chapter 21

Eugeo's POV

It had been a good few months, Kirito and I were better than ever. He insisted we come up with a schedule, go on a date every Saturday. He was usually the one that chose where to go and I was happy about that, I was never a good decision maker.
Today was a Saturday, and the winter season had finally passed. I enjoyed the coming of spring, the flowers starting to appear and the leafs on the trees brightened everything up.
I looked at my calendar, it wasn't really a special day to me, since I've never celebrated.
Saturday, April the tenth.
I remember Alice's birthday being a day before mine, we used to go to the park on both the days. We'd spend hours just talking and playing around...
I did miss Alice, she was one of the best friends I'd ever had.
My thoughts were interrupted by my phone going off, the annoying noise made me sigh but I opened it up nonetheless.

Kirito 🖤
Walk out of your door, I don't care if you're not dressed yet.

My heart fluttered at the text, Kirito was always so straightforward....
I looked down at myself, I was still in my pyjamas even though it was eleven in the morning. I put on some socks and made my way down the stairs.
Kirito had a thing for surprises, so I don't doubt he's planned something. I did tell him how I don't celebrate my birthday, but I know what he's like, always going the extra mile for someone, even if they don't do a certain thing or have the intention of wanting something.
I opened the door, expecting some wretched prank to be pulled, like water on the face or something loud happening.
But all I saw was Kirito, standing there with a small party popper in his hands. He popped it upwards, the confetti falling gently into my hair and around the floor.
"It isn't much, but you don't really celebrate it do you? Happy birthday Eugeo..." Kirito said, a huge smile on his face. I started blushing, and tears formed in my eyes, no one had done anything like this in years. Alice was the last person to celebrate my birthday, my parents never did anything, and now that I'm older my mum lowkey stopped caring about it.
Kirito's face fell when he saw the tears run down my cheeks, it was embarrassing to say the least. I fell into his arms, holding onto him tightly, I buried my face into his chest trying to hide my face and tears from him.
I felt Kirito pull me closer, patting my hair in the process.
"It wasn't too much was it?" He asked, clearly concerned.
I shook my head, pressing myself even closer, if possible at this point.
"N-no... Kirito I love you so much you know that right?" I whispered, my voice quivering, I was so happy yet so sad.
"And I love you too... but what's got you crying like this Eugeo~?" Kirito said, still calmly petting my head. The action made me shiver slightly, and he must of noticed, since he slowly pulled me inside without breaking the hug.
"I haven't celebrated in years... Alice was the last person to do something like this and I guess it just brought back a lot of memories." I answered.
I swear I felt Kirito tense up, but I wasn't sure...
"It's okay Eugeo, she's out there somewhere, and if we ever do see her again I'd like to meet her." He said, voice calm.
I felt his hand running through my hair, getting caught at the noughts from my bed head. He was warm, and I wish I could stay like this forever, but interruptions just had to exist.
"Oh Kirito, I didn't expect you to be round so early." I heard my mum say, her head poking around the doorway.
I pulled away, looking towards her, my face clearly red.
"I came over early, since it's Eugeo's birthday." He said, seemingly unfazed by the position we were in a minute ago, he didn't care about these embarrassing moments when we were caught unexpectedly. I wish I was as confident as him.
"It's the tenth already...?" She said, her voice quietening. Sometimes I wish I knew what she thought about me, did she truly love me as her son? Or was I just a burden which reminded her of my father?
Thinking that I was anything like him made me mad, I felt sick being related to him. Did I have traits of his I didn't know about, which my mum saw...?
I accidentally broke the silence with a whimper, immediately covering my mouth. My thoughts had took control of me and tears were falling yet again, Kirito was beside me and took a hold of my hand.
I waited for my mums reaction, at first she seemed shocked but then she just went back to what she was doing. This made me feel even worse, she really didn't care...
Kirito was quick to pull me into a hug, his warmth comforting me yet again. His touch made me feel complete, yet I still yearned for one thing.
A mothers love.
I didn't realise just how much I needed to cry, until I stopped being silent. My voice broke and I let out quiet wails, a mixture of emotions swirling through my mind. I heard Kirito try to comfort me, holding me as close as possible whispering words of encouragement.
He really did love me, I could tell, I just always had doubts. But aren't I a burden to him? All this crying and all my problems... does he really care?
I pulled myself away slowly, wiping the tears with my sleeve, Kirito still held my empty hand.
"Thank you Kirito." I said, smiling brightly... it was genuine too.
"Eugeo, lets go out somewhere today, let's not call it a celebration. More of an extended date, but with party poppers." He laughed out, blush on his face.

"No... let's celebrate." I finished, still smiling.

——