Chapter 27

Kirito's POV

I sat up, at first my surroundings seemed unfamiliar but the memories returned quickly. I must have fallen asleep in Eugeo's bed, I'm sure he didn't mind, being next to Eugeo with his arms around me was the most comforting feeling in the world.
"Oh Kirito... you're finally awake." I heard Eugeo say, his voice quite and broken.
I looked towards him, his pale face was tired and lifeless, my heart couldn't take the pain of how much sorrow Eugeo was in.
I leaned forward, placing a soft kiss onto his forehead, making him blush beneath me. I loved it when Eugeo got flustered, and seeing him like that while he's in a dangerous state seemed to lift some of the weight from my shoulders.
"Good morning Eugeo... how are you feeling?" I asked, wondering how the doctors even let me stay so late while his mother hadn't even arrived yet.
"I'm okay, I think." Eugeo said, looking into my eyes. I placed a hand on his face, moving the loose strands of hair away from his eyes. The once sparkling gaze was replaced by plain colour, the sparkles that his eyes used to give when he saw me.

Somehow it had disappeared...

Just as if they were waiting, a nurse walked inside. It must have been the same one from last night who told me about Eugeo's condition, her job was probably one of the hardest things to do.
"Ah, Eugeo-kun you're awake. I'm just going to check your vitals, and afterwards someone will come along to ask you questions about what has happened." She said, moving over to the machinery situated next to Eugeo.
I felt a hand on top of mine, Eugeo was only looking at me, I guessed he was worried or didn't like the feeling of tubes, needles and bandages on his body. Which was understandable, I knew what it felt like after all.
"Okay Eugeo-kun, you seem to be doing all right so far. Another doctor will be here shortly, to ask the questions. With your progress so far there's the possibility that you can be discharged today or tomorrow, depending on some more blood sampling and wound checking." The nurse said, finishing her work with the machine.
"Thank you Miss." Replied Eugeo, who was clearly nervous being around other people. I tightened the grip around his hand, and the nurse left the room.

"Hey Eugeo you don't mind if I stay? While the doctor asks you what happened..?" I said, I was trying not to sound to pushy, I didn't want him to be uncomfortable and not tell the doctor the truth. I just wanted to know why he did this to himself, and it breaks my heart to know that Eugeo doesn't love himself like he should...
"I don't mind... I guess you need an explanation too Kirito..." He said, looking away from me. I could tell he was guilty, there was another emotion I could see, but not sure which...

Like the nurse said, a doctor arrived shortly. He was taller than us by quite a bit, he looked kind and good at his job, I trusted him to ask Eugeo about his problems.
"Eugeo-kun, it's a pleasure to finally meet you, My name is Mr.Lyric, most just call me Lyric. I'm going to ask you a few questions, is your partner here allowed to stay?" He said, motioning a hand towards me and taking a seat.
I saw Eugeo nod, our hands were still tightly clasped and I could feel him shaking slightly.
"Okay. You're Mr.Kirigaya, correct?" Lyric said, now talking to me.
"Yes, it's nice to meet you." I replied, trying to sound polite, but in reality I just wanted him to hurry up and ask Eugeo about why he did this.
I shifted in the bed, moving my body closer to Eugeo's, he seemed to change with the contact, his shaking stopped and his breathing slowed down.
Did this small contact with Eugeo really calm him down this much?

"Okay Eugeo, lets get started. I'll start with my first question, have you previously had any therapy or medical treatment for something similar to this incident?" He said, holding a clipboard and readying his pen.
"Y-yes, this isn't the first time I've been hospitalised for... self harm." Eugeo said, his voice nearly too quiet to hear.

There were a lot of irreverent questions, which made me more and more concerned about my boyfriend, but then the doctor finally asked what I was waiting to hear the most.

"Why did you decide to do this yesterday?" Lyric said.
I felt Eugeo tense up, and I squeezed his hand, almost now as a natural reflex.
Me and Eugeo had an amazing time together yesterday, he was happy. We were watching the fireworks, and had dinner together... something must of happened when he left, and that would also explain the bruises on his back.
"It sounds stupid but... I was coming home from Kirito's house, someone decided to jump me. I'm not 100% sure of who it was but I have a small idea... she was rough with me, and caused a lot of bruising on my back, but it was her words that made me do this. She said... she said I was being used, that I don't deserve Kirito..." Eugeo whispered, tears began to fall down his face and I immediately wrapped an arm around him comfortingly.
The doctor took a lot of notes, constantly scribbling everything Eugeo said, I didn't know how these people could figure out what was wrong with people just by listening to there back stories or how they lived there lives. They were truly some of the smartest people out there...

"Could this have possibly triggered a relapse? Have you ever experienced something similar to the abuse this person gave to you?" The doctor said. I started to blank out, Eugeo's words were inaudible to me and I was stuck in a trance of thought.
Who was this girl?
What did she want from Eugeo?

Do I know this girl?

——