Chapter 8

Kirito's POV

I awoke in a place I wasn't familiar with at first... but then after I rubbed my eyes and looked around I found myself in Eugeo's room.
I recalled last nights events, remembering that Eugeo had blacked out while he was telling me about his breakdown. I had never expected Eugeo to be someone who had to handle these type of emotions and problems, Eugeo was always the one to smile first and he was always laughing and joking at school.
I looked to my left, there lay Eugeo still asleep. He was very peaceful as he slept, only the sound of his breath was able to be heard. I moved a strand of hair out of his face, now able to see his forehead.
Cute... Wait do I like him or something? Not in that way, surely...
I sighed and started to scan his whole body, he was still wearing his uniform but it wasn't as neat. His shirt had three buttons undone and it wasn't tucked in.
That's when I noticed a bruise, that was no longer hidden under his shirt... It was a dark purple, but wasn't recent, there was also numerous scars around the same area and they were along his collarbone.
I reached a hand towards the bruise, being careful as to not wake Eugeo up, and gently caressed it... moving my hands upwards I also felt the bumps of the scars. My eyes started to water, as I looked at the fragile, skinny boy beside me. He was broken, on the inside most definitely... but where did these come from? Were they self inflicted? It looks like someone else did it...
Eugeo had began to stir, and I pulled my hand away. After rubbing my eyes, Eugeo had began to move a little. Then I was greeted by his sleepy eyes opening up to look at me, I blushed at the rare sight of Eugeo. I could be one of the only people who has seen him like this, he began to sit up and stretched slightly.
"Still here Kirito? I thought you would have left..." He whispered, smiling towards me.
"You blacked out last night, I couldn't just leave you." I replied, pushing myself off the bed. I walked over to the window, the curtains had been open all night.
I saw Eugeo flinch in the corner of my eye, and he pulled his shirt over his chest, doing up one of the buttons. He was defiantly trying t hide what was on his chest... I hadn't noticed before, but Eugeo was a very secretive person. I never was able to tell just how skinny he was until today, he always wore baggy clothes almost in a way to hide the fact he was malnourished.
I never saw him eat, and when I was tidying his room there wasn't the typical teenager rubbish like crisp packets or bottles of fizzy drinks. The only edible thing I found was the vodka...
But right now, as Eugeo was getting changed facing away from me, I was able to see what he looked like.
His spine was visible through his back, as well as his ribs... his hip bones were probably the worst to look at, as they stuck out in an uncomfortable way.
Eugeo was now fully dressed again, and he looked normal. I turned around and walked towards him, he seemed to notice my presence as he turned around quite quickly.
"You weren't watching me get dressed were you Kirito?" Eugeo teased, laughing slightly.
"No Eugeo!" I laughed out, but I was obviously lying, and now I was concerned about his health.
I decided that I must see him eat, and I'll invite him to have some breakfast with me.
"How about we get some breakfast Eugeo? You owe me, you fell asleep last night when I was supposed to take you somewhere!" I said, pouting a little.
Eugeo scratches the back of his neck and giggled nervously.
"Okay Kirito, lets get breakfast." He answered.
We started to walk downstairs, and Eugeo's mum was already down there in the kitchen. I had originally planned to take Eugeo to a near by cafe, by Eugeo's mum had made us stay here and make us some food.
"I've been awake for some time boys, so I'll make you breakfast. It's better than going to a cafe trust me. I make the best coffee too." She said with a smug look on her face. You could almost say she acted too childish to be a mother, but I guess that's what makes a good parent. When you relate to the child and even act like them sometimes, it can make them easier to talk to.
Me and Eugeo both sat down at the table, two coffees had already been placed on the cup mats, hot and ready to drink. I waited for Eugeo to drink some of the coffee first, just to double check it was for us.
"So Kirito, I didn't know you were going to stay the night." Said Eugeo's mum, attempting at small talk.
"O-Oh yeah it wasn't really my original plan... but Eugeo had fallen asleep so I just decided to stay." I replied, leaving out the details of him blacking out.
I heard Eugeo give a nervous laugh as he drank more of the coffee.
Hearing Eugeo laugh made me happy, but also afraid...
Was every laugh he gave fake? If so, what does his real laugh sound like...?
I was taken out of my thoughts when two plates were placed on the table. Each contained about six pancakes, they weren't big, but they were definitely enough. Sticky syrup dropped off the edges and I couldn't stop myself from drooling.
I looked over to Eugeo, who surprisingly didn't have much of a reaction.
"Thank you very much!" I practically shouted, my childlike instincts taking over as I filled up my mouth with every fork full.
Eugeo ate slower than I did, and for some reason his mum was looking very proud of him. She walked towards me, stopping at my side and bending over.
She whispered into my ear;
"Thank you for encouraging my son to eat again."
I paused then said;
"I didn't do anything, it was all Eugeo...".

Eugeo is going to get through this... isn't he?

——