Altercation

You guys I am so pumped for this story! As usual my mind goes a million miles an hour but buckle up because if you like roller coasters you'll love this story! <3

(ABOVE IS WHO I HAVE CHOSEN TO PORTRAY OLIVIA)
————————————-

Olivia

My heart was violently slamming against my rib cage, my pulse was easily triple the normal rate and by the intense look that Mr. Marino is giving me it's almost as if he can hear it. I stare at him trying to find the words to explain what happened here tonight and he is growing impatient. I can tell because he lifts his eyebrows and shoots me a warning look.

"Room 205 left a generous tip on the counter in their room before they checked out and Maria thinks I took it, but I haven't even left the front desk all day." My voice comes flying out of my mouth laced with nervousness. I've never stolen a thing in my life, I don't take what's not mine or meant for me.

"Well I haven't even been on the second floor since this morning, so it wasn't me! We wouldn't have this issue had I went back up there!" Maria shouts clearly growing more and more defensive.

"Mr. Marino if I may?" I ask for permission to talk and approval flickers in his eyes and he simply nods his head once letting me speak again.

"It's not unusual for money to go missing, matter of fact we've had other housekeepers and concierges complaining that tips left for them have gone missing when they step out to grab something the customer has asked for but when they return it's gone." Anger flickers in his eyes no doubt furious that his business is having problems.

"Since when was this an issue? Why wasn't it brought up to me?" He arches a furious eyebrow at me and I gulp in fear. This man is by far the scariest man I've ever met and I haven't been around him for more then five minutes both times I've met him.

"Well I didn't think it was a problem at first. I just figured it was a one time thing but then it happened several more times." I looked away from the fire burning in his eyes afraid it was going to burn me alive.

"You didn't think that was a problem worth mentioning?" He crosses his arms over his chest, his focus never wavering from me.

"Well yeah-" I trail off realizing how bad this looks, the manager of a five star hotel ignores theft in her bosses hotel, sure makes me look like the role model employee.

"Mrs. Gonzalez why don't you tell me your side of the story?" Mr. Marino turns towards Maria and she huffs and starts ranting once again.

"I clean these rooms everyday, I change the sheets, I clean up more disgusting garbage than you would even believe sir. I work hard for these tips so you can imagine my frustration when they are being taken from me." She wipes a stray tear from her eye, oh she's good crying like that in front of the boss just another reason to make me look guilty but I won't back down. I'm not guilty so I damn sure won't be made to look like I am.

"You've got cameras set up and down every hallway and corner in this hotel Mr. Marino couldn't you just view the footage to see who's been taking the money?" I suggest and his head snaps my way.

"I could, and what happens if I see you exiting the room?" He arches a sharp eyebrow at me.

"I'm sure you will sometimes because I'm supposed to sign off that the room is up to par for the customers but you can view the footage and line it up with the reported incidents of the money being taken and when you see who comes out of the room boom! You have your thief." I do a little victory dance at my brilliant idea okay so it's not really brilliant but it will clear my name and that's all that matters to me.

"Mrs. Gonzalez I will look into the footage and try to get to the bottom of this whole issue. Thank you for your patience, you may go." I seen Maria gasp before she mumbled a thank you and then scurried out of his office without a look back. Mr. Marino turned his attention towards me and narrowed his eyes pointedly.

"Miss. Carozza, I hired you as the lead manager of my finest hotel. That job comes with certain responsibilities such as reporting issues to me, your boss. If this is a job you can not handle let me know and I will replace you with someone who can. I'm certain I pay you generously enough, it's the least you can do. Now I'm going to review the footage from all the cameras, I need the reports and incident logs to do so. If it comes out that you are in fact stealing money from my employees you will be out on your ass- and you will regret it." His tone was laced with venom and ice sending a fearful shiver up and down my spine. One more second under his fiery gaze and I'll piss in this chair no doubt about it. His threat spoke volumes and terrified me to my very core.

"You're dismissed." He waved me off and I bolted out of my chair and through his office door not turning to look back letting the hot tears make their way down my face. I was humiliated, I'm no angel but I'm an honest person and the fact that I was being accused of being a thief made my heart hurt. I was raised better than this. I ran down the hallway and into a bathroom to check my appearance. My reflection haunted me, my long dark brown hair perfectly curled in loose waves but my honey brown eyes dark with sadness and my cheeks were pink and stained with mascara streaks.

I come from a family of integrity, honesty, and pride. My mom passed away when I was just fourteen in a car accident leaving me with my dad and uncle who are both cops at the New York Police Department. The rules of the law were drilled into my brain since as far back as I can remember. They were less than pleased when I took this job, knowing who I work for. The most wanted and most dangerous man on the entire East Coast, detectives have been trying to build a case against him but every time they come up empty handed as if all proof just vanished into thin air.

They have undercover agents spread through the Mafia, the underground world, one a lot of people don't know even exists the only reason I even know is because of who my dad and uncle are. My father is the police chief and my uncle is a private detective.

I sucked in a deep breath and wiped my tears before heading back to the front desk. I gathered all the documents that Mr. Marino asked for and my feet reluctantly carry me back to his office and the same rapid heat rate from earlier returns. I lift a finger and knock twice on the door.

"Come in!" His voice echoes even with the door shut and I open it and step inside.

"Yes gather every thing you can. I want to know everything from dance recitals to great grandparents maiden names by morning." He hung up the phone and stared up at me from his desk shooting me an impatient look.

"The forms you've asked for." I lean forward and hand him the papers from my hand our hands touch briefly and the warmth from his ignites in my hand sending waves of fire throughout my arm.