Background

Welllll?! You guys how are you liking this story thus far?! Liking it? Loving it? Wanting some more of it?! Let me know! <3
———————————-

Olivia

Pulling up to the the house, my childhood home. A home I live in with my dad. I know at my age of twenty two I should be out on my own and I'm working towards that but student loans stacked sky high made that hard. I climb out of my old Toyota corolla and make my way inside. Tonight is family night which means dinner with me, my dad, my uncle and his son, my cousin Alonzo.

"Hello everyone!" I sing as I sit three pizza boxes on the kitchen table. I decided to take the easy route and buy dinner instead of cooking especially after everything that happened today at The Marino Suites. I wasn't in the mood to be around anyone I wanted to go to my room and sulk and hope my family can't read my fake demeanor but being closer than thieves they will see right through me. I shiver at the bad choice of words and plant a smile on me face.

"Hey pumpkin how was work?" My dad asked as he grabbed a slice of pizza and took a bite. My cousin Alonzo grabbed three pieces and started to inhale his food barley chewing in between bites. He is seventeen almost eighteen but his metabolism is one of a thirteen year old, always burning calories like a damn machine. He is tall, taller than all the men in our family. He is six foot four inches and he isn't even done growing. He is lanky but swears he is going to bulk up but between you and I, I don't see it happening. His dark brown hair long and shaggy covering his chocolate brown eyes.

"Oh it alright." I sigh with a sad smile before taking a bite of my own slice letting its greasiness satisfy my tastebuds.

"Livy Lou I don't understand why you want to work there. Do you know the man who owns it? He is a monster!" My uncle Felix barks anger pooling in his eyes using my childhood nickname, the only people who call me Livy Lou are the three men at this table right now. Well two men and one teenager.

"It's a nice place to work. Mr. Marino is a professional regardless of what you two think he runs a tight ship plus the money is right."

"I told you I'd cover your student loans, you went and got yourself in debt and now look at you! A badass degree but working for the devil." My dad snapped venomously making it known he isn't happy with my boss or job but I'm grown and I can make my own choices.

"I'm an adult, I can't expect you to support me and take care of me forever. With the money I'm making at the hotel I'll have my student loans paid off in two years. Plus I am looking into apartments. I need to do this on my own." I sigh in frustration not wanting to have this same argument every single time we all gather for dinner. It's the same fight every single time and it's tiring.

"I'll always take care of you. You're my daughter it's what dads do. If you're happy there I'll leave you alone but I can tell something is bothering you. What is it?" My dad points a warning finger at me, yep he saw right through my facade just like I knew he would.

"A housekeeper accused me of stealing her tips. Now Mr. Marino is viewing the footage to see what really happened." I mumbled as I fidgeted with the tips of my fingers, my worse habit.

"But you didn't do it?" My uncle Felix asks quizzically his brown eyes floating with concern.

"No! You two taught me better than that!" I am quick to defend myself, my voice full of shock that he would even ask me that in the first place but pride fills his eyes at my answer clearly in approval. When my mom died he became a second dad to me not that he wasn't around before because he and my dad are brothers after all but they are closer now than they were then. I think he was just so afraid to leave my dad alone. Him and Alonzo even moved in across the street from us. His wife Paula left them when Alonzo was two years old claiming that she never wanted to be a mom and she felt suffocated and no one has heard a peep from her since.

"Does Mr. Marino actually think you did it?" My dad asked curiously and I shrug. Did he? I mean Maria clearly didn't do it so who else could have?

"I sure hope not he was so mad when he found out someone has been stealing under his roof." I mumble remembering the anger that was swarming in his eyes.

"Oh my gosh if it comes out that you were the one stealing he is probably going to put a hit out on you! Or he may just kill you himself. A powerful man like that seems like he does his own dirty work!" Alonzo gasps but his tone dancing with excitement. No doubt seen way too many of those old timer mob movies has compromised his images of what a man like Mr. Marino is, a monster.

"Alonzo that's enough!" His dad slams his hands down on the kitchen table earning a whimper from me. He wouldn't kill me would he? Damnit I really hope that the footage proves my innocence if not I can kiss my life goodbye.

"What? I'm just saying he is a badass!" Alonzo's voice was dancing around with admiration and it made me nauseous so I tossed down my slice of pizza no longer hungry.

"Don't worry about my idiot son. I'm sure everything will be alright Livy Lou besides if not you've got two badasses of your own to protect you." My uncles teases trying to lighten the mood but I'm too nervous to laugh.

"Make that three!" Alonzo adds which makes us all laugh and he frowns before letting out a huff claiming 'you'll see one of these days' before I excused myself up to my room to take a shower before going to bed not getting but only a couple of restless hours of sleep.