Family Dinner

Olivia

"Hello?" I call out walking into my dads house. The lights are on so he is home but the living room is empty.

"In the kitchen!" My dads cheery voice sounds so I stalk my way to the kitchen. He was at the stove cooking something that smells mouthwateringly delicious.

"Hey pumpkin!" My dad waves quickly before turning back to the stove stirring whatever is in the pan he is holding a death grip on.

"Hey dad. Where is everyone else?" I ask looking at the empty kitchen table the house is far too quiet usually it's a mad house with the three guys in one room.

"They stopped by the store to grab some wine we have some celebrating to do!" My dad whipped around his eyes full of excitement.

"Celebrating what?" I ask curiously. Is it someone's birthday or something?

"I was going to wait until after dinner to tell you but I just can't wait! We finally got a hit in the undercover operation I can't really give you details but it is something worth celebrating!" My heart starting racing and not in a good way.

"What did you find on Mr. Marino?" I ask my voice coming out sharp. The thought of something bad happening to him or him going to jail is too much for me to bare.

"Oh we didn't find anything on him. Not yet. No matter how hard we try we always come up empty handed. Sweetheart there are more branches to the Mafia than just Marino's. There is The Bononoas, The DeLucas, The Cambinos. The four Italian families each of them run their own strand of the Mafia. We figured we'd take down one at a time. You won't believe the stuff that men will say to save themselves. They will sing like canaries to save their empires. When it's all said and done and all of those families have fallen there won't be anyone left standing not even Luca Marino." My throat felt like someone was crushing my windpipes. It was hard to breathe. I tried coughing to get more air in my lungs but I couldn't get enough air to my lungs.

"Goodness pumpkin! Are you okay?" My dad shoved a glass of water into my hand and I chug its contests.

"Yeah I'm fine." I answer but my voice was shaking. I felt dizzy and I didn't realize how much I cared about that idiot until now, so much the thought of something happening to him hurts my heart.

"Hello!" Alonzo yelled storming into the kitchen throwing his backpack on the ground.

"Did you tell Livy Lou here about our new lead?" My uncle asks and my dad nods answering him. They both looked happy when inside I was freaking out. My dad sat the food on the table and we all took our seats and started making our plates in silence.

"Isn't that great Livy?" Alonzo asks with a teasing smile.

"Sure." I nod taking a bite of my food trying not to engage in the conversation any further.

"Who did I see you at the store with the other day?" My eyes widen at his bluntness. I shoot him a glare but he shrugs innocently.

"What?" I ask slowly like I didn't hear him correctly.

"Who were those two men I seen you at the store with the other day Livy Lou?"

"Mr. Marino and one of his security guards." I answer through clenched teeth. My dad starts choking on a piece of chicken.

"I'm sorry did you say you seen her at the store with Marino?" My dad asks sipping his wine. Fuck.

"Yes that's right. Scary son of a bitch that man is to. He almost had a coronary when I tried getting close to her." My dad looked at me with wide eyes.