𝓃𝒾𝓃𝑒

GRAYSON

-friday afternoon-

"Just be prepared for an exam sometime next week." Professor Slender Man finally says. I seriously thinks he likes to speak just so he can hear his own voice.

My shaky hands shut my notebook as I place it in my backpack. I look at Hanna and wait for her to leave, just like I always do. It still makes my stomach explode with nerves knowing we talk everyday. She's so perfect, way too perfect for me.

When she exits the room I swing my backpack over my shoulder. I take a few deep breaths, trying to calm my anxiety. I already know it's going to be high today. Ethan is going on a date with my dream girl, and it's all my fault.

My feet push toward the exit, trying to get out of here as quickly as possible. I need to go over every little detail with Ethan before he leaves. As I'm walking out the door, my stomach drops at the sight in front of me.

Hanna is talking to Noah Reed, somebody she seems to have a lot of history with. She never mentioned anything about him so I have no idea where they stand. A frown creeps onto my face as I watch them talk. By her facial expression, she seems upset.

I quickly shoot my head down and pull out my phone. Those little insecurities in my head are coming out as my thoughts overpower my brain. She probably dropped you. Noah is way better than you. Your little book talk will bore her to death.

ethan:
are we still on for tonight? just making sure.

I type and send without even thinking. My heart is beating extremely fast. I don't even look at her for a response, I quickly walk out the exit and into the crisp fall air.

A light breeze hits my sweaty skin as I inhale a deep breath. I need to calm down. My phone immediately buzzes with a message, and I know it's from her. She's the only person I text.

hanna:
yes! see you at 5

My body relaxes from her simple words. I'm okay, I just need to get through the night. Walking over to my car, I get into the driver's seat and head home. There's so much I need to talk to my brother about. He can't screw this up for me, I won't allow it. When I finally arrive, I enter my quiet home. My parents usually work later, so it's just Ethan and I.

"Ethan." I call out to him, just like I always do.

"In your room." He shouts from upstairs.

My room? He never goes in there. I quickly jog up the small flight of stairs and enter my bedroom. He's standing in front of my large bookshelf, examining every part of it.

"What are you doing?" I slowly question.

"I'm doing some research." He casually shrugs. "Did you know that you have exactly seventy five books on this shelf?"

"You counted?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"I have to be you, what if she asks me that?"

"She's not going to ask how many books are on my shelf." I groan, shaking my head.

"I've never been nervous for a date before." He turns to face me. "I've always been myself."

"Listen, it's for one night." I sigh while looking down.

"Catcher in the Rye is missing, that would be number seventy six." He crosses his arms over his chest.

"I keep that one hidden." I walk over to my bed and lift my pillows up. The copy of the novel sits perfectly underneath them.