𝒻𝑜𝓇𝓉𝓎 𝓉𝓌𝑜

GRAYSON

"Dinner was so nice, just like it always is." My mom gushes once we walk through the front door of our home. "God, I can't believe you boys are twenty."

"It's crazy, it feels like only yesterday you guys were taking crayons and coloring all over the walls." My dad says while entering the kitchen.

"That was yesterday. Go check the wall in the hallway, there's a surprise just for you dad." Ethan laughs while playfully hitting into his arm.

"I had that one coming." My dad chuckles.

"Time for cake!" My mom excitedly opens the refrigerator and takes out the fresh chocolate cake she made this morning.

"I'm still full from dinner." I say while sighing.

"You know we always have cake right after we eat." My dad eyes me.

"I know, but tonight-"

"No but's, sit down at the table." My mom demands while placing birthday candles into the cake.

"Come on, man." Ethan shoots me daggers with his eyes. "Stop being a dick and make mom and dad happy."

I simply shut my mouth, not even bothering to go back at him. I feel terrible that I'm in such a sour mood, but I keep thinking about Hanna. She probably forgot that today's my birthday, but I wish she called me.

Fuck, what am I saying? She hates me, she never wants to talk to me again. It's all my fault and the guilt of hurting her is eating me alive. The aching of my heart continues as I force myself to sit down at the table.

My father turns off the lights as my mother burns the candles, allowing the cake to brightly shine. Ethan sits down next to me and pats my back. He gives me a defeated look, and it's killing me. I need to stop acting like such a dick. It's been a month, I need to get my life back on track eventually.

My mom places the cake in front of the both of us and they begin to sing. I always hated the concept of people singing happy birthday to me. My anxiety was always extremely high, I hated having all of the attention on me.

"Make a wish!" My mom claps once they finish singing.

A wish? I wish for Hanna Thompson, always. I wish we could fix everything, I wish her father would get exposed. That's my birthday wish this year. I close my eyes and blow out the candles, along with Ethan.

"Hope all of your wishes come true." My dad smiles while handing us a knife to make the first cut.

"Me too." I look back at Ethan with a weak grin.

"It will." He simply nods as we both cut into the cake.

After hanging out in the kitchen, I thank my parents for a great birthday and head up to my room. I can't fake the smiles any longer. I'm a fucking mess.

I pace around my room while tugging on my hair. God, why is my life such a shit show? It was all so perfect. Fuck Phil Thompson and his threats. I hate that man with every fiber in my body.

But I also hate myself. I shouldn't have let him control me. I should have told Hanna the truth. She's right, I am a coward. Her father scared the living shit out of me. I just wanted to protect her like I always do.

Trying to calm my growing nerves, I sit down at my desk and open up my laptop. I was in the middle of typing a chapter before we left for dinner. I nervously gulp and bring my hands to the keyboard. Writing always calms me down, it's my escape from reality. Right now I'm in desperate need to escape. I inhale a deep breath and start to type my next paragraph.