𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎

GRAYSON

"It's you, isn't it?" Hanna whispers while staring directly at me. My entire world is crashing down by the second, and I can tell hers is too.

"Hanna." I simply repeat her name, that's all my dry and cracked voice manages to get out. I can't speak, can't move. Tears are already taking over my eyes.

"It's been you the entire time?" She asks with wide eyes.

I immediately feel lightheaded as I watch her beautiful hazel orbs become glossy. "Let me just-"

"Say it." She quickly demands. "I need to hear it from you."

I nervously gulp while looking directly at her. "Yes, it's me."

"Oh my god." She places her hand over her mouth in shock. "You've been catfishing me for weeks."

"Please, I need to explain-"

"Explain what?" She takes a step back from me, still holding onto the book. "What were you trying to get out of me? Were you trying to humiliate me?"

"No, absolutely not." I quickly shake my head.

"Did you think it would be funny to mess with my feelings?" Tears trail down her red cheeks.

"No, of course not!" I shout, trying to get her to listen to me. "Hanna, I would never do anything to hurt you."

"Well, too fucking late." She gulps while letting out a sob. "I trusted you, but now I don't even know who you are."

"It's been me the entire time. The person you fell for is me." I let out a loud breath.

"Grayson?" Ethan suddenly walks into my room. He's wearing black sweatpants and a tight t-shirt. His eyes widen when he sees Hanna crying. "What the hell is-"

"You." Hanna pushes past me and points her finger at him. "You're fucking sick."

"Excuse me?" Ethan's jaw hangs low.

"You knew your brother was catfishing me with your picture and you didn't think to tell me on our date?" Her voice cracks.

Ethan looks back at me, fear flickers through his eyes. "Grayson didn't do it to hurt you."

"What the hell did you two think was going to happen? Did you think I wasn't going to find out?" She looks back at me with a scoff.

"Hanna, I need to explain everything." My breath is becoming heavy again.

"So, let me get this straight." She says through her tears while looking back at Ethan. "It was never you? The messages we shared was never actually you?"

"No, it was Grayson." My brother lowly mumbles, clearly ashamed.

"And you still took advantage of me?!" She angrily yells at him. "I kissed you and you didn't stop me, and then you kissed me at the party. What? Were you trying to fuck the campus slut without the trouble of actually getting to know her?"

"It wasn't like that, I swear. I was just trying to help my brother out because he has-"

"I opened up to you! I told you about Noah and you comforted me when in reality, you don't know anything about me!" She scoffs while shaking her head back and forth. "Do you even go to UChicago?"

"No, I don't." Ethan gulps while looking at her.

A low gasp leaves her lips as she turns back at me. "How dare you?"

"Hanna, I can explain it all." I begin to beg.

"I don't want to hear it. Both of you played me." She aggressively throws my copy of Catcher in the Rye onto my bed, causing it to land with a thud. "I'm out of here."