One

Journal Entry
Mom wants to go shopping today. Wow, that feels so weird to write.. Mom. I have a mom.. and a dad and a brother who actually care about me. This whole thing has been so surreal and I feel like I'm dreaming. I keep pinching myself just to make sure this is all actually happening. But, mom wants to take me shopping to get some new school clothes, since I'll be attending the new school this next week. I really got lucky that I was placed with them. Her and dad have been amazing. So has Zach, my brother. I just hope this doesn't all come back to bite me, all this happiness. All I know is I never want to see Ben or Dylan ever again. Oooh. Maybe i can get away with asking for a tattoo today. I really want one and Zach has so many. It shouldn't be an issue. They're pretty chill parents. Doesn't hurt to ask, I guess. Okay, time to get dressed and go shopping! :)

"Amelia! Come on!" Sarah, her mom yells upstairs.

"Coming!" She yells back as she finishes putting her shoes on, running the brush through her hair again & walks downstairs after grabbing her phone. "I'm ready."

Sarah smiles, grabs the keys and heads out to the car. Amelia follows and gets in the passenger seat, and puts on her seatbelt. Her mom starts the car, pulls out of the driveway and starts driving towards the mall.

Amelia looks out the window while fidgeting with her hands, as she always does when she's nervous about going out in public. Sarah turns on the radio and continues driving. Amelia starts singing along quietly, deep in thought about everything that has happened over the past month.

Sarah pulls into the mall parking lot, turns off the car, and gets out. Amelia gets out and makes sure the doors are locked.

"Where to first honey?" Sarah asks, smiling.

"Um.. Shoes? I only have like two pairs of shoes.." Amelia replies quietly.

"Shoes it is," Sarah smiles and walks towards the entrance, "and we will also get something to eat while we are here, ok honey?"

"That works. Thank you, for everything. You guys have seriously been the best through all of this. I know it's a lot to take in a teenager..." Amelia rambles as they walk inside the mall.

"Amelia, honey, it's really no problem. We wouldn't have it any other way. We love you like you are our own daughter. Always remember that, ok?" She replies as they walk into the shoe store.

They look around for a bit as Amelia tries on several different shoes and finally settles on two pairs of converse, a pair of vans, and a pair of flats. They continue shopping for a while before leaving the mall and going to get something to eat. After eating, they decided to walk around the small shops on the block near the restaurant.

"I was wondering something..." Amelia looks at her mom.

"What's that honey?" Sarah looks over and smiles.

"Um, so, you know how Zach has all those tattoos...?" Amelia asks as she fidgets with her hands.

"Yes, Robert and I gave him permission..." she looks at Amelia slightly confused.

"I was wondering.. if maybe.. I could get a tattoo.. as a symbol of what I've been through..?" Amelia looks at her nervously.

"Oh Amy, that's a fantastic idea! Any idea on what you would want?" Sarah exclaims, smiling.

"No, but I was just thinking it would be a good reminder of everything. I.. I don't know.." She says as she looks at the ground.

Sarah looks around then smiles, taking Amelia's hand & pulls her to a shop with a sign that reads "Nightmare Ink" and goes inside. Amelia follows, looking down at the ground.