Seventeen

Alex hands Amelia one of the bowls, their hands touching. She feels her face turn slightly red as she looks down, remembering yesterday and Addie catching them kissing as she whispers, "S..sorry."

Alex chuckles quietly to himself, looking at her and whispers, "It's ok.. Promise." He smiles, setting the bowl on the table. Addie starts eating, looking between them. Zach, Sarah, and Robert start eating as Alex and Amelia look away from each other and start eating as well.

"So, Alex. You work at a tattoo shop?" Robert asks, looking at him.

"Actually, I own my shop. I took over for the former owner when he moved." Alex says, with a smile.

"That's impressive for someone as young as you." Robert remarks as he continues eating.

"Thank you. It's something I always knew I wanted to do, so when the former owner said he was moving, we made a deal and contract and I took over everything, including his old clients." Alex replies as he continues eating.

Addie tugs on Amelia's sleeve. "Elp please." She asks, reaching for her cup. Amelia hands it to her and smiles. "Tanks Amy." Addie takes a drink and hands it back to her as Amelia sets it back on the table.

"You're welcome, Addie." Amelia smiles and continues eating. Addie continues eating, still looking between Alex and Amelia.

"So, where's Addies mom this evening?" Sarah asks as she eats. Amelia looks up, shocked.

"Mom.. that's not polite. At all." Sarah looks at Amelia, appalled.

"I'm just asking a question dear." Amelia looks down, as Alex touches her arm, giving her a look saying it's okay and removes his hand. He looks at Sarah.

"Leah, Addies mom, and I are no longer together for personal reasons. We have joint custody of her. I get her Wednesday evening through Sunday evening and Leah has her the rest of the time." Alex replies, setting his fork down.

"And what do you do with Addie while you're at work?" Robert asks, genuinely curious. Amelia continues looking down, moving her food around on her plate, starting to get nervous and upset.

"Actually, the great part about being my own boss, is Addie can come with me to the shop the days I have her. I don't schedule any appointments for this days, mainly just walk-ins. She stays in the backroom, where I have a monitor to keep an eye on her. She has a little bed, toys, and a TV back there." Alex explains, looking at Addie. Addie looks up and smiles at him. Robert nods as he finishes eating. He gets up and takes his plate into the kitchen and loads it in the dishwasher, then heads into his office.

Sarah and Zach finish eating, and Zach takes both of their plates into the kitchen and starts cleaning up. Sarah goes into Roberts office, closing the door.

Addie finishes eating at the same time Alex does and looks at him. "Daddy I messy." She giggles holding her hands up.

"Yes, you are." He chuckles, getting up and going into the living room, grabbing Addies bag and comes back with wipes and wipes her hands and face as Zach comes in and collects the plates, taking them back into the kitchen. Amelia stands, grabbing the bowls of food off the table and takes them into the kitchen, setting them on the counter and looks at Zach.

"Thank you." She says as she walks back to the dining room and Zach smiles to himself. Amelia is greeted by Addie running to her, arms in the air and Amelia picks her up.

"My Amy." She says, giggling, resting her head on Amelia's shoulder. Alex chuckles and watches them. Amelia holds Addie and walks to the living room.

Alex walks into the kitchen and throws away the wipes. "Need any help? My daughter stole your sister." He asks, chuckling.

"Um, actually, I'm done, but thanks for offering." Zach replies, closing the dishwasher. "Addie likes Amelia then. That's good, right?" Alex nods slightly. Zach smiles, drying his hands. "Go. I have one thing to do and I need someone to keep Amelia occupied." Zach says as he walks to the office and goes inside, closing the door.

Alex walks into the living room and finds Amelia and Addie playing on the floor. He leans against the door frame, watching them and thinking to himself.

She looks... amazing.. with Addie. She's like a perfect mom.. and she doesn't get to experience this with Jake and it's not right.. Shit Alex quit thinking about her like that.. She's 17.. but it's only four years... but she's been through way too much.. but she's perfect.. why.. couldn't she be older.. she's amazing with Addie.. Addie really likes her.. I.. dammit alex. stop. you can't think like this.

Amelia looks up and sees Alex watching them and smiles softly at him, still playing with Addie. Alex smiles softly and walks over and sits with them on the floor, next to Amelia. He looks at her, biting his lip very softly.

"You look amazing tonight, princess." He remarks, softly. She smiles, blushing slightly. Addie looks up.

"No daddy, she pwetty." Amelia giggles softly, looking at Addie. Alex smiles and looks at Addie.

"No, Addie, she's beautiful." Amelia blushes, looking down. Before Amelia can say anything, her parents and brother walk out of the office and into the living room.