Forty One

Amelia looks up, noticing the look on the doctors face and sits up, concerned. Ben stands, also concerned and Alex sits up on the bed. The doctor looks between all three of them, slightly confused.

"I'm looking for the parents of Jake Allen?" He says, still looking between the three of them.

"I.. I'm his mother.." Amelia manages to squeak out. The doctor looks at her, and explains that Jake inhaled some smoke and that everything's fine. He gives her the discharge papers and leaves the room.

Ben sits back down, as Amelia sits back on the bed, looking at Alex, tears slowly falling down her cheeks. He wipes them away gently, then stands and walks over to her, helping her to her feet and hugs her tightly. Amelia sniffles into his shirt and hugs back. He kisses the top of her head then lets her go. Amelia leaves her arms wrapped around him and looks up, giving him a weak smile. Alex caresses her cheek, returning her smile. She speaks softly, her voice barely audible.

"Help me get him home? And.. I.. I hate to ask.. but.. I.. don't want to be alone tonight.." She looks down as she speaks, causing Alex to lift her chin gently.

"Baby.. never hesitate to ask. I'll have to pick up Addie though. So, I'll take you and Jake home, let you talk with your family and go get Addie, then come back. As long as your parents are okay with it." Alex replies, caressing her cheek softly. Amelia gives him another weak smile, then turns to Jake, who's watching her.

"Jake, baby, um.. you're gonna come home with me, ok?" Amelia speaks, sitting back on the bed. Jake nods, then looks at Ben.

"It's gonna be okay, buddy. I promise she'll take really good care of you, ok?" Ben says, giving Jake a reassuring smile. Jake nods then looks back at Amelia, lifting his arms up. Amelia picks him up and he lays his head on her shoulder. She looks at Alex then back at Jake.

"Hey, Jake? Can you go with Alex for a minute so I can talk to your Uncle Ben?" Amelia asks, to which Jake nods, looking at Alex and holds his arms out. Alex takes him and heads out to the hallway. Amelia looks at Ben, who stands and walks over to her and hugs her tightly.

"I.. have a car seat for him.. that you can have.." Ben whispers as he pulls back from the hug. Amelia looks up at him, biting her lip.

"Ok.. I.. Ben.. I'm not gonna keep you from seeing Jake. You are the one person he knows best, and I don't want that to change." Amelia whispers, fidgeting with her hands.

"I.. Are you sure?" Ben asks, unsure about the whole thing.

"Ben, you're his uncle. He knows you and is used to you. Alex has a car seat in his truck anyways, for his daughter. It's fine.." Amelia states, still fidgeting.

"Ok.. but you should still take the car seat. You're gonna need it." Ben says, shoving his hands in his pockets. Amelia nods and they head out to the hallway.

Jake lifts his head from Alex's shoulder, looks between Amelia and Ben and lays his head back down. Amelia smiles to herself and starts walking outside. Alex and Ben follow, not saying anything to each other. Amelia takes out her phone and creates a group message between her, her parents, and Zach.

Am: Hey, so.. um.. Jakes coming home with me and i'll explain it all when i get there.. also.. mom & dad.. is it cool if um.. Alex and Addie come over and if they stay..?

S: ok honey, we can put jake in the guest room with addie. i'm assuming alex will be in your room? just no funny business. i know you two are friends.

R: okay amy. alex & addie can come over and stay. pick up dinner on your way back? i'll wire you some money.

Z: sounds good amy. no loud noises tonight 😝😝 KIDDING.