Twenty-Four

Alex moves a strand of hair out of her face, looking in her eyes. She smiles shyly, looking down, biting her lip softly. He lifts her chin with his free hand, smiling.

"Don't look away from me, princess. I like watching all your different expressions and seeing your beautiful eyes." She blushes at his words, taking his hand in hers and laces their fingers.

"Sorry, I'm just not used to this.." She looks down at their hands then back up at him.

"I know princess.." He pulls her closer, kissing her temple. She smiles, laying her head on his shoulder.

Addie turns around and looks at them, "Daddy.. hungy."

"You're always hungry Addie." He chuckles as he plays with Amelia's hair. Addie looks at Amelia.

"Amy. Me hungyyyyy." She whines. Amelia looks at Alex then back at Addie.

"I'm sure we can find something to eat upstairs, but your dad has to cook." She responds, looking back at Alex. He nods, moving her off his lap and stands. Amelia stands and stretches as Addie walks over, lifting her arms. Amelia picks her up. Alex watches them for a minute, thinking to himself.

She's so perfect.. I just wish she could see it.. She's amazing with Addie and she doesn't have to be.. I wish.. I shouldn't wish that.. but damn if she was Addies mom... life would have been perfect.. even if neither of us wanted kids and we still had one.. life would have still been perfect.. she's so patient and understanding.. god if i wanted more kids.. and if she did... stop it alex. stop thinking like this. she's 17... but she's so.. damn it.. i want her. i want her to be mine. i don't want her with anyone else.. i want to be the one to shower her with affection and gifts and everything else in this world.. but maybe it's best if she dates someone her age.. i don't want to end up hurting her.. friends.. we should be friends..

Alex sighs as Amelia heads upstairs still holding Addie. He follows a short while after and finds the two of them in the kitchen, Addie sitting on the counter and Amelia looking through cabinets. He spots a box on the counter, looks at Amelia, then back at the box.

"Amelia..?" He questions, causing her to look at him as he points to the box. She looks at him, then the box and walks over to it. She looks at it, but sees no return address. She looks at Alex.

"I don't wanna open it.. W..what if it's from h..him?" Dhe frowns, looking at him. Alex grabs Addie off the counter and sends her to the living room, putting on cartoons for her, then comes back to the kitchen, grabbing the box, taking Amelia's hand and leads her over to the counter near the stove. He picks her up, setting her on the counter, then grabs a knife and opens the box. On top, is a folded piece of paper that he hands her. She unfolds it and reads it:

Dear Lia,

I miss you so much babygirl. I'm sorry for everything I've ever done to hurt you. It was never my intention, please believe that. I know your birthday is coming up, so I had Ben do some shopping. Everything in this box is from me. I included some of your favorite books by your favorite author, along with some new ones. Books included: Ryan's Bed, Bennett Mafia, The Boy I Grew Up With (Hmm. maybe it's about us?), Cole, and Crew all by Tijan. I also included the After series.

I included some different types of journals, because I know you like planning things and writing things down. You can use them to keep track of what books you've read or want to read. Keep track of your favorite TV shows, since I know you love watching Netflix. I also had him get you some pens for them.

And finally, I had him buy a necklace, symbolizing our love, which is eternal. It's two hearts intertwined into one, like ours. Two stones, a diamond for you and blue for me, symbolizing our birth months.