Twenty-Six

Alex and Amelia lay in bed for a while, causing Amelia to fall asleep. Alex gently lays her on the bed, pulling the blankets over her and kisses her head gently as he gets out of bed, grabbing his clothes and wrapping the towel around him. He searches the house for the laundry room and throws his clothes in the dryer then proceeds to the kitchen and starts cooking lunch. Amelia stays asleep, and starts dreaming.

~Amelia's Dream~
7 Years Into The Future

Amelia is sitting in the living room with Jake and Addie helping them with their homework. She looks at the clock, wondering when Alex will be home from work. He was late, and that's not usual. She sees the time, and goes into the kitchen and starts dinner. Addie and Jake put their homework back in their bags and wander into the kitchen, sitting at the dining room table.

"Mama, when will Daddy be home?" Addie asks, curiously.

"Um, I'm not sure honey. I haven't heard from him yet today." Amelia responds, starting the stove.

"Mommmmmmm I'm hungry." Jake whines, getting into the fridge.

"Well, you can just wait a bit. I'm making dinner." Amelia snaps, starting to worry.

"Mama, what's wrong?" Addie asks, worried.

"It's nothing sweetie. Why don't you guys go play and I'll come get you when dinners ready." Amelia responds, cutting up the chicken.

They both go outside and play in the backyard. Amelia looks at the clock again. She puts the chicken in the pan, washes her hands and picks up her phone, calling Alex but gets no answer.

"Damn it Alex.. Where are you?" She asks herself, keeping an eye on the chicken as she starts the pasta. There's a sudden knock on the door and Amelia turns the heart down and goes to answer it.

Amelia opens the door, and there stands Leah, Addies mom. "What do you want? It's not the weekend. You can't just drop by whenever you damn well please."  Leah rolls her eyes, and pushes past Amelia into the house.

"Where's Alex? We need to talk." She crosses her arms and looks at Amelia, looking her up and down. "Still can't believe he married your pathetic ass, when he wouldn't even marry me, the mother of his child."

"He's not home. What do you want, Leah?" Amelia was trying to stay cool, but was also starting to get pissed.

"I guess I'll deal with you. I can't take Addie this weekend. My friends getting married and there's no kids allowed. I can take her next weekend though." Leah explains, arms still crossed.

"Actually, you can't have her next weekend. Her and Jake have plans next weekend." Amelia responds, going into the kitchen to check on dinner. Leah follows.

"Who the hell is Jake?" Leah asks.

"My son. Alex's son." Amelia responds, clenching her fist.

"Oh. Ew." Leah sighs. "What plans does my daughter have?"

"They have a soccer tournament. Out of town." Amelia responds, looking at Leah. "And she's not missing it." She crosses her arms. Alex quietly walks inside the house, hearing the conversation.

"God your such a bitch. I wish you had killed yourself when you had the chance." Leah huffed. Amelia freezes at her words, unclenching her fists hiding her arms as she looks down.

"Get. The. Fuck. Out. Of. My. House. Leah. Now!" Alex speaks quietly, going over to Amelia. "You do NOT come into our house and speak to my wife that way. I will not hesitate to stop your visitation rights to Adelaide if you don't cool your shit. And you damn well know that I can do it in a heartbeat. Now, get out! You can see Addie in three weeks." Leah looks at him, angry and storms out of the house. Alex looks at Amelia and she looks up at him.

"I love you." She smiles as she speaks. Alex smiles.

"And I love you, beautiful." He replies, leaning down and kissing her softly. She kisses back then continues cooking. Alex goes upstairs and changes into sweatpants and no shirt then comes back down. Amelia finishes cooking and turns off the stove and looks at Alex, biting her lip softly.

"Um remember the plans we had with Jake this weekend? We need to add 1.. Leah can't take Addie this weekend. I know that this was supposed to just be me, you, and Jake..." Alex stops her, bring his hand to her neck.

"It's ok. I can add one. Jake will understand. Those two love each other like they're blood siblings. It won't be a problem and we can always find another weekend to do something just the three of us. I promise." He kisses her forehead, then goes to the back door and yells for the kids, who come running inside, attacking his legs. Amelia smiles as she plates the food for the kids, then plates hers and Alex's, and sets the table as they all sit down to eat.

~End Dream~

Alex finishes cooking, plating all the food. He then goes back to the laundry room and grabs his clothes and puts them on as Zach brings Addie back upstairs. Alex looks up. "Amelia's asleep.. and there's food in the kitchen." Zach nods, taking Addie into the dining room and sets her on the bench as he goes into the kitchen and grabs two plates of food and brings them back, sitting down. Addie and Zach start eating as Alex takes a plate to Amelia's room.

He enters room, finding her completely uncovered from the blanket and chuckles to himself. He sets the plate down on her bedside table and sits on the edge of the bed, waking her gently.