Ten

Alex walks over to the fridge and gets out chicken and vegetables and sets them on the island in the kitchen. Amelia leans against the counter next to the stove.

"Are you allergic to anything? Or is there anything you won't eat..?" Alex asks, get the pans out of the cabinet. Amelia shakes her head, taking her phone out of her pocket, noticing it's dead and slips it back in her pocket.

Alex grabs the oil, seasonings, and spatula and sets them beside the stove then goes back to the island and starts chopping the vegetables and chicken, humming softly.

"If you wanna help... you can wash the vegetables.." He says without looking at her. Amelia walks over to where he is, turning on the sink and starts washing them. Alex takes the chicken over to the stove, turning it on and starts cooking.

Amelia continues washing the vegetables, as Alex puts the lid on the chicken and turns around and watches her, thinking to himself; She's amazing with Addie.. She's.. fuck I can't think like this.. Shes 16.. but I'm not doing anything wrong...

Amelia finishes washing the vegetables, getting water on her shirt. "Damn it. Ooops. Sorry." She turns around, hoping Addie didn't hear her. Alex looks towards the living room, sees Addie watching Paw Patrol and looks back at Amelia, who's face is flushed red.

"It's okay, she didn't hear you. Um, do you want a shirt and I can throw that one in the dryer..?" Amelia nods slightly as Alex flips the chicken over before turning down the heat and heads to his room. Amelia follows shyly. Alex opens the door to his room, turning on the light.

"Um, I hope it's not awkward but my clothes are in here

"Um, I hope it's not awkward but my clothes are in here... and you need a shirt so..." Amelia smiles softly.

"It's fine." She stands in the doorway as Alex goes over and grabs one of his shirts and a pair of sweatpants.

"Um, the sweatpants might be kind of long... but..." He says nervously, avoiding eye contact.

"I'll make them work. Considering my jeans are wet too.." Amelia says, mentally facepalming at the way that sounded. Alex sets the clothes on the bed and waits in the hallway. Amelia shuts the door, but not all the way, walking over to the bed, taking off her shirt and tank top, mumbling to herself.

"Stupid, stupid, stupid...." She tosses them on the floor as she removes her jeans. "What the fuck are you doing Amelia. He's older than you. You're 16. You had a baby a year ago. No one would want you. You're worthless, broken, ugly." Alex hears her and frowns to himself, thinking why would she think that? she's beautiful...

He looks through the crack in the door, thinking she's dressed. When he sees that she's not, his eyes linger, seeing the bruises and scars on her sides, legs, and back as she slips on the sweatpants, rolling them up so they fit okay. He looks at the floor.

Amelia slips the shirt on and picks up her clothes and walks over to the door. She opens the door, looking at the floor.

"Princess.. are you ok?" Alex asks, slightly concerned.

"Yeah, I'm ok.. Just um.. hungry.." Amelia replies, looking up at him through her hair. Alex moves her hair from her face. She looks at him, biting her lip extremely softly.

"Okay.. Lets go finish cooking and eat, and maybe a movie." Alex says as he caresses her cheek softly before dropping his hand, taking her clothes and throwing them in the dryer as they walk back to the kitchen.

Amelia leans against the counter next to the stove as Alex takes the chicken out of the pan and puts the vegetables in, putting the lid back on. He walks over and lifts Amelia up and sets her on the counter, resting his hands on either side of her legs.

Amelia looks at his hands, then looks up at him, biting her lip softly, holding her breath. "Alex..."

"I know.. I'm not gonna do anything. I just wanted to actually see your eyes for once up close." He whispers softly, looking in her eyes. "They're beautiful.. just like the rest of you. You.. are so much more than what's happened to you. Please, do not let that define you." He tucks a strand of hair behind her ear as she rests her hands in her lap.

Alex smiles softly and walks back over and turns the stove off, grabbing plates from the cabinet and silverware from the drawer. He puts a piece of chicken on Addie's plate and cuts it up in small pieces then places some of the vegetables on her plate, cutting them up as well and lets it all cool off. He looks at Amelia, who's watching him with a small smile.