Seven

Zach starts driving to the shop, turning on the radio and playing the CD Amelia made for their car rides together. Amelia smiles and starts singing along quietly. Zach smiles and continues driving.

"Actually, I need to start getting a feel for the town on my own. So just drop me off at the coffee shop or something." Amelia says, looking out the window.

"Okay. Just text me when your ready to come home then. Since you don't have your car yet." Zach replies as he pulls up to the coffee shop. Amelia nods, leaving her backpack in his jeep and gets out and goes inside the coffee shop and Zach drives off.

Amelia is waiting in line, on her phone when she hears a familiar voice ordering in front of her. She freezes and looks up slowly. Standing two people in front of her, is her biological brother Benjamin. As she looks back down, they make eye contact when he turns around.

Amelia quickly turns around and leaves the coffee shop. Ben follows after her, catching up to her quickly, grabbing her and pulling her into a secluded alley.

"Wh..what do you want Ben?" Amelia says, absolutely terrified.

"You to drop the fucking charges. You know Dylan loves you. Why are you doing this to him?" Ben asks, completely pissed off.

"You don't hurt the people you love. You know damn well that he abused me constantly. I don't give a shit that it's your best friend. He hit me, broke my wrist, left bruises. Why are you defending the person who hurt your little sister?!" Amelia says, raising her voice slightly. Ben slaps her across the face, causing Amelia to bring her hand to her cheek, tears filling her eyes.

"You will drop the charges. You will go back to Dylan and apologize. You will move in with him and Jake. And as soon as you turn 18 you will marry him. If you don't, he will have you killed. Remember that, you stupid bitch." Ben remarks, slapping her again then walks away.

Amelia stays there, holding her other cheek as the tears fall down her face. She takes out her phone and texts Alex.

Am: Are you busy?

Al: No, are you ok?

Am: not really..

Al: come by the shop.. i'll be here.

Am: okay.. be there shortly..

Amelia starts walking towards the shop, which is only about two blocks away.

Once Amelia arrives outside the shop, she leans against the wall, trying to calm down. She opens the door and stands just inside, and Alex looks up.

"Hey.." Alex looks at her face and sees she's been crying.

"H..hey.." Amelia says as she sniffles quietly. Alex frowns slightly.

"You know you can come in all the way, right?" He puts down his phone. Amelia takes another step inside, biting her lip to keep it from trembling. She looks up at him, tears threatening to spill from her eyes.

"H..he f..found me.." She whispers as the tears fall from her eyes. Alex walks over and wraps her in a hug.

"Shhh.. it's okay.." He says as he hugs her tightly.

"He found me and he.. he slapped me and told me i needed to drop the charges against Dylan.." She says between sobs.

"Oh princess.. I'm so sorry.. I may not know what the charges are for, but obviously they are for a reason. Please, do not drop them. They need to stay in place. Please Amelia.. don't drop them." He says as he strokes her hair.

"He'll kill me if I don't..." She sniffles.

"Maybe you should tell your parents?" $e asks, resting his chin on her head. She shakes her head, but doesn't give a reason why. "Amelia, they're your parents. It's their job to protect you and keep you safe.."

"N..no you don't get it.. they have already done so much for me I can't t..tell them.. because then we'll have to move.. and I don't want to move.." she says as she wipes one of her eyes.

"It's gonna be ok. It will get better with time. Can't you tell the officer on the case or something?" he asks, still stroking her hair.

"It doesn't work that way.. not in this situation.." she sniffles again. Alex sighs quietly.

"What do you mean?" Before Amelia can respond, the bell above the door rings and in walks Leah, holding Addie and a bag. Alex lets go of Amelia and looks at Leah. "Hey.."

"Yeah. Hey." She says as she rolls her eyes discreetly. "Did you forget that today was your day?"

"No, I just figured we would keep it the regular time. Like, you know, later, when I was closing." He replies, getting a little pissed. Amelia stands there awkwardly, arms folded across her chest.

"No, I texted you and told you I needed to drop her off early today. Some dad you are." She scoffs.

"Okay. That's fine. But why?" He says, keeping his cool.

"Nail appointment and a lunch date." Dhe replies.

"With who? Katie?" He rolls his eyes.

"No, with a guy." Leah looks over and sees Amelia then looks back at Alex.

"Fine. Whatever. Have fun." Alex walks over, taking Addie and her bag. "You can leave now."

Leah whispers to Alex, "I still love you and I'm willing to make us work, but that won't happen if you're in jail." She rolls her eyes discreetly at Amelia as she leaves.

Alex sighs and walks back over. "I.. I'm sorry.. that's Leah.. Adelaides mom.. Addie is my daughter.. which makes Leah my ex girlfriend."