Thirteen

Amelia quickly gets up and answers her phone. Alex gets up with Addie and leaves the room to give her privacy. He goes to the kitchen and starts breakfast.

Am: Hello?

Z: Damn it Amelia Grace. where are you?! i've been looking for you all night and most of the damn morning!

Am: I'm sorry.. my phone died and I fell asleep.

Z: Where are you?

Am: With a friend.

Z: Amelia. Grace. Hart. Where the fuck are you.

Am: Zachary. Jonah. Hart. Calm down. I'm safe. I'll be home shortly.

Z: If it wasn't your birthday, I'd yell at you. Speaking of, what do you want for dinner? I'm cooking.

Am: Homemade Chinese food. Can I go now?

Z: Yeah. Just be home soon. I'm running to the store. Mom and Dad are at work.

Zach hangs up and Amelia sits back on Alex's bed, sighing, plugging her phone back in.

Alex finishes cooking for Addie, plates her food and puts her in her chair. He puts her food in front of her and walks back to his room, peeking in.

"Hey, princess?" Amelia looks up, biting her lip as Alex walks in. "Everything ok?" He sits beside her.

"Yeah, just Zach. I need to get home soon before he has an aneurysm or something." She looks at him. "I.. I'm sorry... for Addie seeing that... I don't want her to be confused..." He stops her, taking her hand in his. She bites her lip softly.

"Addie... she likes you. I can tell that. And.. quite honestly? You're actually the first girl I've had around Addie since her mom and I split. So, this is a really big deal not only for her, but for me..." He says, as he draws circles on her hand again. She bites her lip harder, looking in his eyes.

"I haven't... been alone with a guy.. since everything with Dylan. I don't.. trust easily.. so this is a big deal for me as well.." She looks down. "I.. last night.. falling asleep with you.. I haven't slept more than two hours a night in over a year.." He smiles very slightly.

"I'm glad I could help.. Do you want something to eat?" She shakes her head. "I'm gonna go clean up Addie and then we can go, ok?" Amelia nods, taking her hand back, but he stops her and laces their fingers and smiles at her.

"What are you...." She stops and smiles up at him, biting her lip very softly. He kisses her forehead and stands, still holding her hand, pulling her to her feet and wrapping his other arm around her.

"Happy birthday, princess. I hope today is everything you've ever wanted." He kisses the top of her head and she smiles. They walk out to the kitchen, still holding hands and Addie giggles and claps when she sees them.

Alex lets go of Amelia's hand, cleans Addie up, puts her plate in the sink and gets her dressed in this, and does her hair.

After she's dressed, he grabs her bag, then he goes back into his room and grabs his phone and Amelia's phone then goes back to the living room where Amelia is sitting on the couch

After she's dressed, he grabs her bag, then he goes back into his room and grabs his phone and Amelia's phone then goes back to the living room where Amelia is sitting on the couch. Addie is watching TV as Alex hands Amelia her phone. She smiles up at him as she takes it and stands.

Alex shuts off the TV, grabbing his keys. Addie looks at him, pouting, then looks at Amelia, making grabby hands to be picked up. Amelia picks her up and smiles. Alex smiles, watching them and heads for the door, shutting off the lights as he goes. Amelia follows and goes outside, waiting for Alex by the truck.

Alex locks the door, walking to the truck and unlocking it. He opens the door and puts Addie in her seat and her bag in the back with her. He closes her door, then opens the passenger door, looking at Amelia, and smiles. She turns around and he lifts her up into the truck, then shuts her door and gets in the drivers side and starts driving.