Eleven

Alex hands Amelia a plate, helping her down off the counter. She smiles up at him, still biting her lip and walks over and makes her own plate. Alex makes his plate then takes his and Addie's to the table. He walks into the living room, picks Addie up and tickles her as he brings her into the dining room and sits her in her chair, then sits down himself and puts a little food in front of her and looks at Amelia. "Come sit." He pulls out the chair next to him. Amelia walks over and sits beside him.

Addie starts eating, as does Alex

Addie starts eating, as does Alex. Amelia pushes the food around for a minute then slowly starts eating, her mind wandering about things. Addie giggles as she makes a mess, causing Alex to chuckle and help her by feeding her. Amelia smiles as she watches them as she eats and accidentally brushes her leg against his and looks down. Alex looks over and smiles softly. He finishes feeding Addie then finishes eating himself, taking their plates to the sink, grabbing a rag and wipes Addie up.

Amelia finishes eating shortly after and puts her plate in the sink as well, then leans against the counter. Alex takes Addie out of her chair and she reaches for Amelia. Alex looks at Amelia and she nods, holding out her arms. He hands Addie over and starts washing the dishes.

"Oo pwetty Amy." Addie says with a smile. Amelia smiles softly.

"Thank you, Addie. You're adorable, you know that?" Addie smiles, clapping her hands.

"Tanks." she touches Amelia's face, smiling. "Daddy, she pwetty." Addie looks at Alex who is finishing the dishes. Alex smiles and looks at them.

"I think it's someone's bedtime." He says as he dries his hands. Addie shakes her head as a yawn escapes. Amelia giggles quietly.

"I think he's right, Addie. You look sleepy." Addie looks at Amelia.

"Otay." She reaches for Alex. Amelia hands her over and leans against the counter again while Alex takes Addie to her room and gets her ready for bed, leaving Amelia alone with her thoughts.
——————
That could be me and Jake... if only I hadn't gone psycho. He should be here with me, not with them.. I failed him as a mom, even though he doesn't know that. I'll never be his mom. There's no way they'll let me have him back.
——————

Alex puts Addie to bed, turning on her nightlight and leaving her door cracked as he walks back into the kitchen, where he sees Amelia wiping tears away from her face. He walks over to her, picking her up and setting her back on the counter, lifting her chin so he can look in her eyes.

"Is this too much? I can take you home right now if you want..?" He asks, genuinely concerned.

"No, it's not. I was just thinking.. I'm fine I promise." She smiles weakly, wiping her tears, but before she does, Alex wipes them away softly for her. He rests his hands on the counter beside her. She looks in his eyes, glancing very slightly at his lips.

"Do you want to go into the living room and watch a movie?" He asks, moving one of his hands closer. Amelia nods, biting her lip.

"But first.. can I ask you something?" He nods, his thumb touching her leg softly. "Will you be able to take me home later?"

"Of course. My neighbor next door watches Addie all the time. She works from home at night, so it's no problem." He picks her up off the counter and sets her down gently, going into the living room and sitting on the couch. Amelia follows, fidgeting with her hands, knowing thats not what she really wanted to ask. She sits down on the couch, but not too close to him.

"Do you need anything? Blanket, drink, snacks?" Amelia shakes her head as he looks for a movie on Netflix. He finally settles on The Autopsy of Jane Doe, making sure the volume isn't too loud. Amelia looks at the TV but doesn't really pay attention to the movie. Alex watches the TV, but also watches Amelia out of the corner of his eye.

During the movie, Amelia moves closer to him, hiding her face occasionally. He keeps an eye on her, resting his arm on the back of the couch. She ends up right beside him, when something jumps out and she buries her face against his chest. He wraps his arm around her and holds her and whispers, "It's okay.. it's just a movie. Promise."

She covers her face with her hands, but before she does she gets scared again and jumps, landing in his lap. "S..sorry.." She starts to move, but he holds her there.

"It's ok.." He smiles softly, "I don't mind.." She smiles shyly, looking down, thinking. I wish he would just kiss me... She looks up at him, leaning forward very, very slightly. Alex looks in her eyes, biting his lip gently and leans in.

"Please...." she whispers, barely audible. He closes the distance between them, kissing her very, very softly. She kisses back, then pulls away and looks down, resting her head on his shoulder and looks at the TV. He looks at the TV, holding her in his lap and wraps a blanket around her.

They stay like that for the rest of the movie, and once it ends he puts on a comedy, still holding her in his lap. She eventually falls asleep in his lap, and she looks peaceful, so he stays there with her, falling asleep himself, after adjusting and laying down on the couch, holding her on top of him.