Forty

Alex lifts her off the counter as the washing machine stops and he goes back and changes the clothes around. Amelia wanders into the living room and sits with Addie on the floor. As Alex walks past his room, he hears Amelia's phone going off. He walks in, takes it off the charger and brings it to her. Amelia looks and sees she has several missed calls, from Zach, Ben, and her parents. She gets up and goes into Alex's bedroom and he follows, leaving Addie in the living room.

Amelia listens her the voicemails she was left by Sarah and Zach, her face going pale. She sits on Alex's bed, tears forming in her eyes. He sits next to her, genuinely concerned as he rubs her back slowly. Amelia's phone falls to the floor with the last voicemail. Alex looks at her, as she looks up at him, tears running down her face. He wipes her tears, frowning as he does.

"Baby, talk to me.. I want to help.. What's wrong?" Alex speaks softly, sitting in his bed, against the headboard, pulling her into his lap. She curls up in his lap, tears still falling down her face. She hiccups, then sniffles as she speaks quietly, and stutters slightly.

"M.. my birth parents. S.. something happened and they.. they aren't here anymore. W.. which means J.. Jake doesn't have.. a f.. family. And.. D.. Dylan p.. posted b.. bail.. and h.. he's out.. He's.. he's gonna come f.. for m.. me.." She hiccups again, looking up at Alex. He sees the pure fear in her eyes. He looks at her lovingly, caressing her cheek gently, wiping away the tears.

"Oh Amelia.. Baby.. I.. I'm so sorry.. About your birth parents.. And.. With Jake.. If you want him, I'll help you.. Anything you need, please don't hesitate to ask.. I'm always here for you, baby. And please, for the love of God, don't push me away because of Dylan.. Because I can't handle seeing you hurt.. I.. Okay.. This is very forward..But.. if.. you're parents would allow it, and if he does show up at their house.. you can stay here. I can take you to school and take you home. You can come to the shop after school, hang out with me and Addie.. Amelia.. Please let me help you baby. I don't.. want you to hurt yourself again.. I can't.. I can't lose you.." Alex whispers in her ear, kissing just below it. Amelia sniffles, nuzzling her head between his neck and shoulder, unable to speak.

All of a sudden, Amelia's phone starts ringing. She crawls off of Alex's lap and picks it up and answers.

Am: H.. Hello?

B: Amy.. I.. Can you please meet me at the hospital? I.. I got Jake out of the house before it went into flames.. He.. He needs you.. He inhaled a little bit of smoke and they won't release him unless it's a parent or guardian.. And I don't want him to go to Dylan.

Am: B.. Ben.. I.. I can't.. I..

Alex motions for the phone and Amelia hands it to him. He speaks in a low voice.

Al: You don't know me, but I know you. The only way Amelia comes to the hospital is if I'm with her and you swear that Dylan isn't there.

B: I'm sorry, but who the hell are you? Why the fuck is some guy talking on my sisters phone?

Al: I'm her boyfriend. If you have a problem with that, too bad. Text her the hospital name and we will be there in 15.

Alex hangs up the phone, bringing Amelia back into his lap. She looks up at him, biting her lip. He kisses her forehead softly as he strokes her hair. Amelia whispers, extremely quietly.

"B.. boyfriend?" She looks up at him, giving him a weak smile. Alex smiles slightly.

"If you want.. No pressure." Alex says softly, still stroking her hair.

"No.. I like it.. And I like you, a lot. And I told you last night, yes to being your girlfriend.." Amelia giggles quietly, kissing his cheek. Alex smiles softly, kissing her nose, causing Amelia to scrunch it up. Alex chuckles and kisses her forehead.

"And I like you, a lot. I uh.. Had a dream about you last night. Well, about us. You, me, Addie, and Jake.. all lives together.. and we were married.. and you were.. well.. you were telling me you were pregnant.." Alex says softly, just as the dryer buzzes. Amelia looks at him, biting her lip. "Come on.. you're clothes are dry. We gotta get you to the hospital to see Jake. Addie's gonna stay with the neighbor." He starts to get up.

"Wait.. Alex.. Is.. Would.. that be something you want..?" She asks, biting her lip as she stands up beside the bed. Alex looks at her, biting his lip gently.

"I.. If it's with you, yes. Absolutely. You will be such an amazing mom, just by how you are with Addie. I would love to have a family with you, Amelia." Alex replies, walking towards the laundry room.

Amelia sits on the edge of the bed, fidgeting with her hands. Alex comes back with her clothes and hands them to her after he locks the bedroom door. She takes off the t-shirt and shorts, lingering for a moment before getting dress and looks at Alex. Alex watches her for a split second, then looks down. She walks over to him.

Alex looks up, bringing a hand up to her stomach, tracing burn scars as well as cut scars. Amelia closes her eyes, flinching slightly at his touch. Alex pauses, caressing her cheek with his other hand as he continues tracing her scars. She opens her eyes, looking in his eyes.

Alex walks her over to the bed, picking up her dress and slides it over her head. She puts her arms in and tugs the dress down. He spins her around, and takes out her hair, unbraiding it slowly, running his hands through it and lets it flow over her shoulders. He spins her back around, kissing her softly. She kisses back softly and smiles slightly.

He takes her out to the living room after he puts on jeans and a nice shirt. He picks up Addie, grabs his keys, and takes her to the neighbors. Amelia goes to the truck, waiting for Alex. He walks up to her, opens the door and helps her inside then gets in and drives to the hospital.

They arrive at the hospital some time later, and see Be. as soon as they enter the emergency room. Amelia goes to the nurses station and asks for Jakes room, explaining she's his birth mother. They give her the room number, and she motions for Ben and Alex to follow.

They arrive at his room and go inside, where Jake is sleeping. Amelia gets on the bed, laying beside him and holds him. Alex sits on the other side of the bed, on the edge, stroking Amelia's hair. Ben sits in a chair, zoning out.

The nurse comes in, checking Jakes machines and then leaves. Jake starts waking slowly, looking at Amelia.

"Ommy..?" he says hoarsely.

"Hey baby.. I'm here.. And I'm not going anywhere this time. Promise." Amelia replies, kissing his forehead. Jake looks at Alex then back at Amelia, then looks at Ben.

"Uncy Ben?" he says quietly. Ben looks up, giving Jake a weak smile.

"I'm here buddy. You scared me for a minute." Ben speaks softly. Jake looks back at Amelia then at Alex.

"Hi.." Jake says quietly, clinging onto Amelia's dress.

"Hi Jake.. I'm a friend of your moms.. is it ok that I'm here?" Alex asks, still stroking Amelia's hair. Jake nods then looks back at Amelia, tears in his eyes.

"Shhh, baby. It's ok. You're safe. I'm here. Nothings gonna happen to you while I'm here." Amelia repeats over and over again. Jake sniffles quietly, still
clinging to her dress. Amelia kisses his forehead again, then looks at Alex and smiles weakly. Alex lays on the bed with them, still stroking Amelia's hair. Ben relaxes in the chair, tears in his eyes. Jake slowly starts to fall back asleep. Amelia looks at Ben and sighs.

"Ben.. what happened?" She asks quietly.

"It was Dylan.. He set the house on fire.. He didn't know Jake was there. I'm so sorry Amy.. I'm so, so sorry I never believed you about the things he did to you. I'm sorry I was a shitty brother, and most of all, I'm sorry I never stopped him. You're my baby sister and I failed to protect you and I almost failed to protect your son. I.. I'm so, so sorry. I don't blame you if you never forgive me for all this. I don't expect you to, ever. I don't deserve your forgiveness, Amy." Ben whispers, choking back tears. Amelia feels the tears welling in her eyes and she blinks them away.

"It's ok Ben.. I can't blame you. You aren't the one who hit me, or r.. raped me.. or caused me so much pain. I've never blamed you. He was very believable.." Amelia replies, looking at Alex. Alex kisses her forehead, then wipes her tears away. Ben wipes his eyes, and closes them, trying to keep the tears at bay, when the doctor walks in, with a grim expression on his face.