Thirty-Two

Amelia is sitting on the couch, playing with Addie while Alex makes dinner. Addie looks at Amelia.

"Ou my mommy now?" She asks quietly. Amelia looks at her, slightly shocked.

"No, honey.. You have a mommy..." Amelia responds.

"Ut she wet me get urt. Ou won't.." Addie says sadly. Amelia feels the tears stinging her eyes, and wipes them quickly. She's not even two and already knows her mom doesn't really care. That's not okay.. She picks Addie up and sets her on her lap, hugging her.

"Listen to me Addie, ok? Your mom loves you, I promise. She just doesn't show it the right way, but you know what's amazing? Your daddy loves you so much that he will never let you get hurt. He will always protect you, always care about you, and always love you unconditionally, no matter what. You have the best daddy in the world, you know that? You will also always have me. No matter what, I'll always be your Amy, ok? You have had a special place in my heart, since the day I first met you. You are one amazing little girl, and your daddy knows that. When you grow up more, you might still not understand all this but I promise you, your daddy will always be there and so will I." Amelia smiles at her and hugs her. Addie hugs her back.

Alex stands in the doorway quietly, watching them and listening, tears in his eyes, knowing that Addie will never have to know the hurt she felt today ever again.

Amelia looks over and smiles softly at Alex. She puts Addie on the floor and gets up, walking over to him and into the kitchen, leaving against the counter. Alex follows her and lifts her up onto the counter, resting his hands on her waist and stands between her legs.

"You.. are amazing Amelia. You have taken Addie in and I never even asked you to do that. You're only seventeen and you're an amazing mother figure to her and you don't have to be. Addie's face lights up every time she sees you. I truly believe that little girl in there sees you as a mom.. because you are a mom. I know you don't have Jake.. but you are still his mom and I know you'll be an amazing mom if you ever do get him Amelia. If that's something you want.. I'll help you in anyway I can. I also want you to finish school and achieve your dreams and goals. So this is what I want you to do: start writing a book. A book about anything you want and when it's finished, let me read it. I won't make any comments until I finish reading it. When I'm done reading it, I'll make a couple of copies for you. send them to some publishers, because you can produce an amazing story with everything that's happened to you." Alex pauses and kisses her forehead. Amelia smiles, biting her lip softly and looks up at him. "You have such an amazing story you can tell baby, and I think you should.." He smiles, kissing her forehead again.

"I saw him.." Amelia whispers, looking down. Alex lifts her chin and tilts his head, looking at the marks still on her neck.

"You told me that baby.." Amelia interrupts him.

"No.. not Dylan.. I saw Jake.. and Ben.. Dylan tried to strangle me in front of both of them.." She feels the tears stinging her eyes again, but this time she lets them fall. "He didn't know who I was and I just... it breaks my heart because he's my son.. my little baby and he doesn't know me at all.." She covers her face with her hands and starts sobbing. Alex wraps his arms around her and pulls her closer, stroking her hair.

"It's ok.. Shhh.. It's gonna be ok.." Alex repeats over and over again, keeping an eye on the stove. Amelia looks up at him, tears staining her face.

"Did you hear Addie..?" She whispers, wiping the tears away. Alex shakes his head, confused. "She asked if I was her Mommy now..." Alex's eyes widen, as Amelia bites her lip.

"I.. shit I'm sorry..." Amelia stops him.

"It's ok.. I know you heard what I said to her.. And I meant it.. I will always be here for her, no matter what. If whatever this is.. between you and me doesn't work out.. I.. still wanna be friends.. and see Addie.. if that would be okay.." Alex smiles and kisses her softly. Amelia kisses back and pulls away, with a small smile.

"I'd be okay with that. I don't know what it is about you, but you literally light up mine and Addie's life, and honestly I wouldn't change it at all. You brighten up every room you walk into and when you smile.. it's amazing. I love everything about you, the good and even everything about your past. I literally can't see any flaws in you, Amelia. You are perfect to me, no matter what baby. And depending on how this all does end up... Maybe one day you could be Addie's mom.." Alex trails off, looking in her eyes. Amelia gives him a small smile and looks over at the stove.

"Shit.. I haven't even checked my phone or let my parents or Zach know where I am..." Amelia looks back at Alex, with a frantic look. She takes out her phone and sees no messages and frowns slightly.

"What baby?" Alex asks, walking over to the stove, turning it off.

"I have no messages or missed calls.. I was gone all day Sunday, last night, and most of today.." Amelia says, looking up at him. Alex shrugs and gets the plates out. He plates all three of their plates and sets them at the table, looking at Amelia.

Amelia hops off the counter and walks over to him, sitting in a chair as Addie runs into the dining room, arms raised in the air

Amelia hops off the counter and walks over to him, sitting in a chair as Addie runs into the dining room, arms raised in the air. Alex picks her up and puts her in her chair, then sits beside Amelia, resting one of his hands on her leg, caressing it slowly. Amelia feels her cheeks flush a light pink as she looks up at him and smiles softly. Addie starts eating, not paying attention.

Alex slowly moves his hand up slightly farther as he starts eating with his other hand. Amelia starts eating slowly, cheeks still flushed, thinking about their time alone together earlier. Once they finish eating, Alex drives them to the shop.