Two

Alex hears the bell above the door ring and he walks out of the backroom to the front, hearing voices.

"It's a nice shop." An older woman says to a young girl.

Oh another teen getting a tattoo. These are always fun. Alex thinks to himself, before putting on a smile. "Hello, how can I help you today?" The lady smiles at him as the teenage girl sits down.

"Yes, hello. My daughter is wanting a tattoo, but she's not quite sure what exactly it is she wants." She says, looking back at the girl. Alex notices she's been staring at the floor this entire time. "Amy?" The lady says and she looks up.

"Damn you're tall." Is all she says. Alex smiles to himself.

"And you're short. Let me finish cleaning up real quick." The lady nods and goes to sit with Amy while Alex cleans up around the station and puts stuff back here it belongs. Once he's done, he goes back over to the counter.

"So, what are you thinking of getting?" Alex asks, looking at her. The older lady answers instead.

"She's kind of wanting something to symbolize what she's been through.. kind of a rough life." She gets up and walks to the counter. "Maybe a quote, or something?" Alex flips through the book, stopping on one quote in particular.

"Hey shorty, come here" He motions for her to come to the counter. She reluctantly gets up and walks over to the counter. Alex shows her the quote and a small smile shows on her face. "Does this work?"

She nods, "It's perfect, actually." She looks up and smiles a little more.

"Great. Come over here and we'll get everything started." Alex says as he hands her mom the clipboard with the paperwork to fill out. Sarah sits back down and starts filling out the papers, while Alex draws up the tattoo, and Amelia sits on the table.

Sarah finishes the paperwork and sets it back on the counter then sits back down, taking out a book, as Alex finishes drawing the tattoo and shows it to Amelia, who's nervously fidgeting. Alex sits on the stool in front of her.

"Tell me your name before we get started. Sometimes that helps with the nerves and such." He smiles at her.

"Amelia.. but most of my f..family calls me Amy." She replies, still fidgeting.

"Well, Amelia, I'm Alex. There's no need to be nervous. Do you know where you want it?" He asks as she shakes her head. "How about your shoulder?" She nods. He looks over at her mom, "She'll have to remove the shirt, if that's ok?"

"That's fine." She replies, going back to her book. He looks at Amelia. She slowly removes her shirt, leaving the tank top on underneath.

"Now, all you have to do is move the strap of the tank top and we're good to go." He says, getting the stuff ready as she moves the strap out of the way. "Perfect. Just black lettering?" He looks at her as he reaches for the ink and she nods. He grabs it, gets that ready then goes back over. "Now, lay on your stomach. If the pain gets to be too much, just tell me and we can take a break, ok Amelia?" She nods as she lays on her stomach. Alex preps the area then starts the tattoo.

Amelia flinches a couple of times, but stays relaxed and quiet most of the time. Sarah continues reading, looking up ever so often to see how things are going.

She is probably the quietest client I've ever had, and the first to ever flinch when I touch them. This girl has been through a lot and she doesn't look that old. Alex thinks to himself as he finishes the tattoo, wiping the area clean. "There we go." He smiles as he sets the tattoo gun down, handing her a mirror to use to look at it in the big mirror.

"It's

"It's.. it's absolutely perfect. Thank you!" she says as she looks at it and smiles then goes over and shows her mom. Alex cleans the station and disposes of the used equipment properly.

Alex finishes cleaning as he hears the older lady's phone go off and she excuses herself outside.

Amelia looks up, "She'll be right back.." looks back down at the floor.

"No problem." Alex smiles and leans against the counter. Amelia looks back at the floor, not sure what to say, biting her lip very softly.

"You don't talk much." Alex states, watching her.

"S..sorry?" Amelia looks up at him, biting her lip softly.

"Usually my clients talk up a storm while i'm tattooing them." He remarks, running his hand through his hair. "Hard life?"

"You could say that.. Um taken from my birth family two years ago.. Adopted maybe a month or so ago by my now family.." Still biting her lip, looking at him. "Still slowly adjusting to everything."

"Gotcha. Well, I'm glad I could give you your first tattoo." He smiles at her.

"Yeah, thanks for that. it's perfect." She smiles back as her mom comes back inside frowning.