Thirty-Six

A few hours later, Alex wakes up, still holding Amelia in his lap on the couch. He brushes her hair away from her face, watching her sleep. Amelia stirs slightly in his arms, resting her head between his neck and shoulder. He smiles to himself, kissing her forehead softly and checks the time. It was 2 am, and he knew she needed the sleep. Alex stands, holding her bridal style, and walks to his room, opening the door quietly, walking over to the bed and lays her under the blanket.

Alex pulls the blanket over her, and kisses her forehead softly. He plugs in her phone, then checks on Addie before stripping down into just his boxers and crawls in bed beside Amelia, pulling her close, kissing the back of her neck. Amelia stirs again, rolling over in his arms, muttering in her sleep. Alex caresses her cheek softly, kissing her temple and whispers in her ear.

"It's ok, baby. I'm here. I got you. You're safe. I promise." Amelia frowns in her sleep, stirring again and continues muttering. Alex caresses her cheek, trying to wake her gently. Amelia stirs again, her eyes fluttering open slowly as she looks at him. "Hey baby.." She smiles, very slightly, biting her lip.

"Hey..." She says in a whisper, bringing her hand to his face, caressing his cheek softly. "I didn't mean to fall asleep.. what time is it?" Alex looks at the clock.

"2:15 am.. do you want me to take you home now..?" he asks as he looks back at her. Amelia shakes her head and sits up, rubbing her eyes.

"No.. But do you have something I can sleep in..?" She turns around and looks at him, realizing he shirtless and blushes.

Alex chuckles, getting out of bed and goes over to his dresser, grabbing one of his shirts and hands it to her. Amelia gives him a small smile as she stands, taking off her dress and slipping the t-shirt on then crawling back into bed. Alex gets back in bed, pulling her to him, resting his hand on her waist, and looks in her eyes. She looks in his eyes, biting her lip.

"You should go back to sleep baby.." Alex speaks softly, slowly tracing circles down her leg. "You have school in the morning.." Amelia sighs, knowing he's right.

"I.. don't know if I can go back there.. because of what happened... yesterday.." Amelia whispers back, barely audible. Alex stops tracing circles, sitting up, and resting his back against the headboard. Amelia sits up with him, tugging the shirt down so nothing is showing.

"If you want to talk.. I'm here.. I'm not gonna force you to talk baby. And.. you don't have to cover yourself. I've seen it all before." Alex chuckles, pulling her to him. Amelia's face turns bright red.

"I.. thats not.. I... grrr. That's not what I was doing." Amelia replies, clearly flustered as she fidgets with the hem of the shirt.

"Did you just... grrr me?" Alex chuckles again, playing with the ends of her hair. Amelia giggles softly, still playing with the hem of the shirt.

"Yes. Yes I did. Whatcha gonna do about it, babe?" Amelia giggles. "Oh god that.. I didn't mean to say that..." She covers her face as it turns even more red.

"Baby... It's fine. Promise." Alex responds, removing her hands from her face. "Talk to me.. I know something is really bothering you." Amelia fidgets with her hands, biting her lip.

"Dylan.. has a brother.. and.. I guess he goes to the school I go to now... and he.. touched me.. pressed me against the wall.. ran his finger over my bottom lip.. all the things Dylan used to do.. and I.. I just freaked out and kneed him in the balls and took off, meaning to call Zach.. but.. I called you instead.. and I.. I didn't mean to.. I'm sorry.. I.." Amelia looks up at him, with a sad look in her eyes.

"I just didn't want to stay there.. I felt vulnerable and unsafe.. And.. I feel safe and protected with you.. because even though we haven't actually known each other very long, but I feel like I've known you my whole life.." She rests a hand in his, playing with his fingers. "I.. don't know how to explain it Alex.. but you've literally.. made me believe in happiness again.. So thank you.." She looks up at him, giving him a small smile. He leans down and kisses her cheek softly.