34..

The knocks had stopped minutes ago before she heard them ring out on her door again and her phone rung

The knocks had stopped minutes ago before she heard them ring out on her door again and her phone rung. It was Hassem. "Is that you?" She spoke dried tears on her face.

"Yeah," he spoke.

She hung up the phone, getting up and walking towards the door. She took a deep breathe, looking thru the peephole, before opening the door. Standing in front of her was Hassem.

Just happy to see him, from longing anxiety and fear, she hugged him. "Thank you for coming," she spoke before backing away. "I didn't even know what to do. I just know I'm not trying to die," she spoke. "Or get shot up again, and I don't even know why I keep being a target."

"You don't?" He asked. "It's because whether you like it or not you apart of their family."

"But I'm not," she spoke. "I don't do any of that stuff."

"And I believe that," he spoke. "But you still are cause' you connected to them with your son," he spoke. "And you gotta learn how to protect yourself, ma."

She looked at him, shaking her head. "No, I don't want a gun."

"You need one," he spoke. "Because what if I didn't answer the phone? Or nobody else did. You would've been in a situation. And me and you both know that," he spoke running his hand over his beard. "You need to protect ya'self. You need a gun, Amerie and you need to find yourself a new joint to live in."

She gave him a look, sitting down on the couch. She turned from him, feeling tears cascade down her freckles face. Hassem already knew she was crying from the sniffling and the tears that were dropping left and right.

"Pack your stuff," he spoke. "And stop crying," he hated that crying shit. It was weak.

"What?" She spoke looking at him, trying to control her emotions. "Just pack up the important shit you need," he spoke. "And I'll get somebody to pick it up later," he spoke before his phone started ringing.

"What's up nigga?" He spoke answering, catching her glare before stepping outside.

Fifteen minutes later, she was in his car with Adidas bag backed with her essential things. She had her toothbrush, deodorant, hair supplies, shampoo and conditioner as well as clothes and shoes for the next three days. She didn't have to worry about her son though, being that he was at her moms for the weekend.

Neither of them said much as he drove, but her tears were now cleared up. Though she still felt the same way. She didn't have money like the Montgomery's, and she never took anything from them for DJ. She worked a regular nine to five making a decent check every two weeks from working as a receptionist at a dental office. She could move, but she honestly had her money tied up in other things such as her son, her mother, and the apartment she already had.