Chapter 41

Please leave a vote <3

I felt relief as I heard the back door open

Maya was out safe.

Hopefully, I would be able to defer Jack and his men, I mean, I was still his step-son, he owed it to me at least for turning me into what I am now.

Grabbing the rifle from my chest, I loaded it with the ammo that Connor had supplied.

At this point, I wasn't even surprised that Connor had access to these kinds of weapons, I mean, if you're working for Mendez, I wouldn't expect anything less.

I was almost impressed, actually, at how far Mendez was going to make sure that he got Maya alive.

Connor, Zara and I stood in the first living room, me and Zara standing either side of the doorway whilst Connor stood behind the door itself.

I was fine though, knowing that I might not make it out of here, it was a strong possibility given I had become traitor to Jack.

But it didn't matter, as long as Maya had gotten away. Derek was with her too, so she'd be happy.

She'd have someone.

With that hope in my heart, I listened intently, ready for the men to burst through the door.

All was silent for a few seconds. The calm before the storm.

And then it happened.

The first gunshot resounded through the house and then, it was raining bullets.

"GO." Connor screamed from behind the couch.

Nodding at Zara, we saw our first man.

Taking a quick aim, I squeezed down on the bullet, the satisfying sound of bullet piercing skin making it's way to my ear.

The man had hardly hit the floor before another four came at us.

I shot at three of them, two of which I had gotten in the head, another one of which was still coming at me.

Zara shot the other man down and was already aiming the gun at the man who wasn't slowing down, still charging at me.

He was hardly a few meters away from me when the sound of brains hitting wall hit my eardrums.

"Damn, I thought you were going to let him get me then." I said, nervously chuckling at Zara.

"I would never." She said, a small grin playing on her face.

We all moved back to Connor's level, making sure we still had a clear line of sight of the doorway.

By the time we had gotten to Connor's line, the wall next to us splintered.

"Shit, GET BEHIND THE TABLE." Zara screamed.

But we hardly had time to jump before the whole wall next to us exploded, sending us towards the table anyway.