Chapter 43

Please leave a vote <3

"Mendez?" Jack screamed, an uncertainty in his voice as he looked up and down at the intruder

No, Jack got it all wrong. The man I was looking at was not Mendez. And you want to know why?

Because the man that I was now staring down was no other than...

"Mr Nicolls?"

But the hits didn't stop coming, no, because now standing behind him in what looked almost like a v formation was DI Greene, Tanner, Connor, Zara and Jacob.

"Get of my girl, Jack." Mr Nicolls called out, a menacing look casting over his features.

But at the moment, I couldn't care less about the fact that he'd just called me his girl.

I just couldn't seem to get over the fact that my favourite teacher was just standing in front of me, gun raised as he looked my kidnapper in the eye.

I couldn't get over the fact that Jack had just called him Mendez.

Looking at him closer now though, it made more sense than it did mere seconds ago. I mean, he had the same eyes and the same hair as the boy in the middle of the picture. He had the same unmistakable upturn in his nose. He had the same unmistakable mischievous glint in his eye. 

There was no way, no way that all these years, I had been working alongside one of the most well known gang leaders of the country.

There was absolutely no way that the man that I made my confidant was Genesis' gang leader.

No no no no no no no no no.

I actually felt like my head was pounding, what was going on.

Why was Tanner standing there, why was DI Greene not arresting Mendez, Nicolls, whoever the heck he was.

The sudden happiness that I had before was diminishing.

This changed everything.

"I know you have some questions, Maya, but first, we need to get Jack out of here." said Nicolls, no, Mendez as he came closer to me, raising his hands as if surrendering.

But I couldn't stop myself from raising the gun to point at him too.

My aim was all shaky, as if I hadn't done this before.

Come on Maya, get it together.

But I just couldn't stop shaking. I could feel the tears starting to pool in my eyes.

God dammit, not now.

Jacob was looking at me weird, like I was wild, like I was some animal. I couldn't stand it.

Stop looking at me like that!

Mendez was starting to come closer.

"Put down the gun, Maya."