Prologue

4 years ago

I felt like my stomach was going to bubble over if I didn't get any food inside me soon. My hands glided over the glass banister of the stairs as I asked myself for the umpteenth time how did my mum and my dad even get this much money?

Everytime I asked them, I'd always get a response a lot like 'you're too young to understand' or 'you'll find out when you're older". I'm already 12, I'm old enough to be able to  handle the truth!

One thing I hated more than loosing was not knowing the truth. Usually, I'd do enough snooping to be able to figure it out. This time was different though, I couldn't find a single thing that tied my parents to the endless amount of money they seemed to have.

For now though, my stomach was taking over my head as I groaned out of hunger.

My feet ran down the soft white stairs from the second floor to the first and straight into the kitchen.

"Hey baby, you haven't got any plans or anything today do you?" mummy asked, looking up from the pot she was stirring.

"No, ma, I'm probably just going to stay home today. Gym's closed as well so I don't see the point."

"Ok, why don't we do come cooking or baking then invite over Derek and his mum?"

"Can we make some 'edibles'? Derek said that they were really tasty and that he wanted to make some of his own so we could make some and see if he likes them?"

"Oh, he said he like edibles did he now?"mum replied with her eyebrows raised. Were edibles bad? I thought, you know, they're literally called edibles so they'd be good to eat, right?

"Yes, he was being really funny that day aswell, like he was being really like smooth if you get me."

"Oh no, I know exactly what you mean. Young lady, I'm going to have to speak to your little mister."

"So, are we making edibles?"

"No, baby, edibles are not a good thing, you hear me?"

"Alright ma, can we make some of your homemade fish and chips? I feel like getting fat ha."

"Baby, I literally do not think you have the capacity to get fat. You'd be gorgeous even if you were. I'm quite amazed Derek hasn't tried to get with you yet."

I blushed at her remark and ran to the stairs so I could go back upstairs but then I hit something hard.

I was so confused as I stood there, everything suddenly going to shit in a matter of seconds.

I was met with the most striking, cold, terrifying silver eyes, filled with no emotion whatsoever.

"BABY RUN, GET AWAY FROM HIM!"

"Tell her to do such a thing again and I'll shoot her right infront of you, you pathetic bitch." The silver eyed man said as I realised that he was holding a gun in his hands.

"Don't call my ma a bitch mister!" I said, trying to square up to the big man that was standing in front of me but there wasn't really much point, he was like, ten times the size of me. Dad and the headteacher at my new school had started teaching me how to fight so if I tried hard enough, I could probably beat him.

After that, I felt a sharp pain through my cheek as slapped me across my face. I cried out in anguish but what really broke me was how the tears were streaming down my mums face, her usual happy radiance no longer visible.

"I don't know what you want, but please, please let go of her."

"Ohh, Eleanor, you know exactly what I want and I will give you ten seconds to decide if you want to tell me where he is. If you don't, I'm going to shoot you and torture your baby girl."