Chapter 123

The short story is dedicated to Cylvir Balcueva Padernal. Thank you for helping me during muting days!

Chapter 123

It was that summer morning.

Surprisingly for someone who is a night owl, it's already early to wake up at 8 AM. I didn't bother to turn on the lights in my dark room. Instead, I pulled my thick black curtain to cover the windows blocking out the slightest rays of light to enter my room.

I could pass into a literal cave girl, and I knew that every human being inside our neighborhood would agree with it. As they have seldom seen me outside.

I didn't pick up my eyeglasses on my laptop and endured a little blurred vision as I left my room. My hair was a mess, still with my printed pajamas, and barefooted.

The front door of our house was usually open every morning, causing the wind to bring the dust from the outside onto the floor, as I took more steps, bare feet brushing against the dusty floor, yawning, and arms stretching over my head, I could hear the early noises of my relatives.

Mom's already outside, wearing her usual black bucket hat with a sunflower in the middle, her hand behind her back, while the other was occupied by a hose, the familiar sound of the sprinkling water dripping from the leaves of her beloved flowers felt therapeutic and comforting accompanied by the cheerful chirping of the birds— sparrows were flying freely at our compound, creating a wild beauty at our home.

In these modern times, where everything is enormous buildings, technology, and aesthetics of science, our little home tried to preserve the wild. Where we could still see greens, and vegetables could be picked, flowers blooming, and the taste of the early morning is luxurious— slow, warm, and refreshing.

I reached our porch and was about to pull the towel hanging when I heard one of my uncles' voices. His huge home was towering over us, he was usually shirtless with his red shorts, and his palm was occupied. "Who wants to have this dog? A friend of mine gave this to me. Still have my five dogs, I don't think I can still take care of one."

It was a cute Shih Tzu.

As someone who wasn't a dog lover, I could still recognize how cute a dog was, but it always ended with it.

I ignored him as he was talking with my mom and aunties. "Let me have it," Father said.

"No. We have our dogs already," Mom said.

I sighed. It was their usual banter. Before I entered our house again, Father said that he'd bring the dog as my grandmother's new dog.

It was a whole day debate between them, but as time passed by, and as we fed the dog since my grandmother couldn't feed it because her body was half paralyzed, we grew fond of it.

I realized that I constantly left the comfort of my cold room just to go outside and play with the dog I named Meiji every day, bought him food, beautiful leashes, and even essentials that would bring comfort to the little dog.

It was those two blissful months of smiles and laughter with the sweet little dog, but our happiness was shattered when he was snatched away from a disease.

Now I was crying, leaving our house since it's a place that reminds me of my cheerful dog. I was in the nearest park with an ice cream in my hand.

Until someone blocked my sight in front of the fountain, he extended his hand with a handkerchief. "You okay, Cylvir?"

When I looked at him, I avoided his gaze. It's Luistro. What was he doing in this place?

But what I noticed was the leash in his other hand, my eyes widened when I saw a dog hiding behind his legs. "You can play with my dog for now. He can comfort you, or maybe iyong amo."

For the first time, after my dog died, I laughed. "Stop it!"

He sat beside me and pulled me closer to his chest. He kissed my forehead. Luistro is my childhood friend and a suitor. "Tsansing ka na."

He chuckled. "You know I can give you more dogs, na may guwapong amo."

I smacked his chest. "Tigilan mo ako!"

"Then don't cry, Love, it breaks my heart."

Inagaw na niya ang natutunaw kong ice cream at siya na ang umubos nito.