A.M.

a/n: a lot of these will probs be based on songs :o don't @ me

disclaimer: pre-serum steve will make an appearance hehe

word count: 1578

"Won't you stay 'till the A.M., Steve?" You asked, clutching your necklace as you always did when you grew nervous. This question always led to Steve giving in, but this time, that wasn't the case.

"Y/N... I would love to, I really would. But I have to do this," Steve said as his soft blue eyes met yours. Steve was one of your best friends, Bucky being the other. Bucky had left for the war weeks before this moment, leaving Steve with more desperation than before. Steve had wanted to serve in the army and defend his country more than anyone you knew. It made him furious that nobody took him seriously, but you had complete faith in him. To everyone else, he was too scrawny, too weak, to fight in a war at this level. Through countless fights about the smallest things, Steve never seemed to exactly win or to make it out alive without Bucky or you somehow being able to track him down and beat the bad guy up. However, his will to never back out of a fight was something you admired of Steve because that's how your friendship began, with Steve defending you of some bully in the first grade. Though that ended in the bully's favor, (he got away with eating your lunch) Steve gave you his and bought you a lollipop, and that was the beginning of this beautiful friendship.

Though you cherished him greatly as a friend, Steve was something more to you. He was your best friend, of course, but you always held a soft spot for him. He was always the light of your gloomy days and was always the first one to show up to walk you to run errands. That's why it had pained you to know that serving the country was on Steve's to-do list. It wasn't that you felt like he couldn't do it, but because you knew he would put his all into it and possibly get hurt while doing so.

"C'mon Y/N, you know I can't forget my best girl," Steve said again as he noted the tears sliding down your cheeks as you tried your best to hold them back.

"Write to me at least once every two weeks, okay Rogers? I'll never forgive you if you don't keep me updated," You managed to let out without your voice cracking under your emotions. You took off your necklace and put it in Steve's uniform pocket. "This is for when you miss me."

"I love you, Y/N," Steve said as he pulled you in for a warm hug, which melted your heart. You felt his small arms embrace you for a hug that you know you would miss and would think about when he's gone. You wrapped your arms around his neck, digging your head into his chest. You didn't respond to what he had told you, but he knew what your response would have been. Suddenly, the bells rang, calling for all men to board the trains and leave to their destination. Your heart began to race as you cherished the last few seconds you had with Steve.

"Okay, that's my cue..." Steve softly said, trying to contain his emotions. He also loved you more than you could possibly ever had known, and leaving you tore him apart. But he wanted to be a hero, your hero. He wanted to come back after winning the war and pour his heart out to you as he knew that he wouldn't be able to right now.

You looked at him as more tears fell down your cheeks at a faster pace and embraced him one more time. Without thinking, you planted a soft kiss on Steve's cheek, which left him with a red lip marked on his face. He flashes a soft smile at you before kissing your forehead. Before you knew it, he was on the train and out of your sight. Who knows when you'd be able to see your soldier again...

Months had passed and you were anticipating Steve and Bucky's return. Steve wrote to you more frequently than you thought he would, which filled your heart with joy. He would tell you of the harsh conditions they put the men in and would tell you of the other men, it was basically as if you were there.

You waited at the train stop, as many other families did, for your soldiers to arrive. Your heart would race at the thought of seeing them again, making the moment more exciting and nerve-wracking.

As each train came and dropped off men, you grew more and more anxious for Steve and Bucky's arrival. However, you seemed so lost in the crowd that when you felt arms embrace you from behind, you jolted in shock. You turned to see a man, resembling the one you loved the most.

"St-steve?" You stuttered as you realized who was before you. Steve had gotten taller, a lot taller, and was twice the size he was when he had left.

"Yes, Y/N?" He asked and gave you that soft smile that you adored so much.

"You've changed so much... I don't remember you mentioning this in any of your letters," You responded and laughed as you cupped his cheeks in your hands. He lifted you off the floor and twirled you in the air as he hugged you a little tighter.

"Well, I'm still the same Steve I was before I left, the one who would never back out of a fight and the one-"

"Y/N!! Steve!! It's so great to see the gang together again," Bucky shouted and pulled both you and Steve into a warm embrace. You laughed and felt your heart swell as your two best boys had finally come back home. "Did you miss us, darlin'?"

"Of course I did, Bucky! But I knew I could count on you both to come back as soon as possible. Come on now, I have a full day planned ahead of us," You responded as they both picked their stuff up and followed you to your car.

As you all arrived at your apartment, they settled down and got comfortable. Because they stayed at a much less comforting environment when they were gone, you decided it'd be best that they stayed with you.

After a long day of going out and catching up, you felt exhausted once you reached your doorstep. Steve carried you to your couch and laid by your side as Bucky had already knocked out on the other chair. You snuggled by Steve's side as he wrapped his arms around your waist, making you feel more complete than ever.

"Y/N?" Steve whispered as he brought you closer to his being.

"Hm?" You asked and closed your eyes.

"I've been meaning to tell you this for the longest time, but Y/N..." Steve softly trailed off as his soft blue eyes looked at yours. His cheeks turned a light tint of pink as he admired you. "I love you. More than you know. I've felt this way my entire life and my love for you has only grown. I love you, Y/N, and I know that this feeling won't ever go away soon."

You felt his gaze soften at you, as it always did when you two were talking. It felt like the world came to a halt and you two were the only people on the planet.

"Steve... I love you too. Also more than you could ever know. You've always been my
best boy," You quietly said as you hugged Steve tightly and closed your eyes with content.

"Here, let's do something," Steve whispered as he opened your window and held his hand out to you. You took his hand and followed him up to the apartment complex's roof. You wrapped yourself and Steve in your blanket to provide some degree of warmth.

"Remember the night I left, sweetheart? You asked me to stay the night, and now I owe it to you to stay up every night I'm here," Steve explained as he pulled you close to his side and kissed your temple. You cuddled up to him and smiled.

"You don't have to, Steve, but thank you," You responded as you took in the calming atmosphere that Brooklyn was at 12:30 a.m.. "Steve, I just want you to know that even before you were a super soldier, I loved you. So much. And every time I saw you, my day turned brighter than I could ever imagine it turning. I always believed in you and I hope you know that."

"Of course I did, Y/N. I always knew you were my best girl. You always had my back when I needed someone... what's this?" Steve asked, pointing at an old radio you had set up on the roof for whenever you'd be bored in your apartment.

"Oh, just an old radio. Brought it up here for when I would reminisce," You responded as Steve got up and walked over to it. He turned it on and took your hand, wrapping you under your blanket in his arms. You danced slowly as the night went along and time passed, but you kept dancing without a care in the world.

It had been so long, but somehow, being in Steve's arms made up for every moment you were without him.