just to be with you

a/n: mm i love me some cap gifs

word count: 1544

"Sweetie, do you really have to go?" Steve softly whispered as you both slowly woke up and turned towards each other in bed. His hands gripped at your waist and you rested your head on his chest.

"I'm sorry Stevie. I love you so much and even though I'll be gone for a bit, I'm one phone call away, okay?" You reassured as you pressed your lips onto his. Today was the day where you would leave on a mission that would require you to move from New York to California to work undercover to eliminate HYDRA influences across the nation, slowly but surely.

"Okay, Y/N, I love you so much," Steve whispered as he pulled you up and buried his head into the crook of your neck. You peeped at the alarm clock to check the time. You had a few hours left before your flight and you were both excited yet reluctant to leave. After a tough twenty minutes of trying to convince yourself to get out of bed, you finally took a shower and got everything finished.

Arriving to the airport felt surreal and you didn't know when you'd come back to New York. The thought of leaving everything you loved behind struck at your heart a little. The thought of not waking up to Steve everyday made your heart ache. But moving away was something you had to do to keep him and everyone else safe from the harm that HYDRA brought.

The plane was ready to board and before you knew it, you were saying your goodbye to Steve.

"Don't forget to call me doll. At least once in a while," Steve softly said as he help you with your carry-on. He cupped your cheeks in his hands and gave you a warm kiss. You memorized the way his lips felt as they touched yours, as you knew you would miss his entire being when you were gone.

"Of course, I love you," You said back as you wrapped your arms around his neck. "I have to go, the plane's boarding Stevie." He sighed as a small tear trickled down his cheek.

"C'mon now, you're gonna make me cry," You said softly as your voice cracked a little. Your thumb wiped off the tears streaming down Steve's face and his wiped yours.

"Stay safe my doll. Call me when you land, okay?" He asked as he kissed you once more. You nodded as you picked your stuff back up and smiled softly at Steve. Then, you boarded the plane with Steve on your mind.

[ time lapse ]

It had been a few months in San Francisco, where the SHIELD base was located. You loved California, however, you loved and missed New York greatly. Steve kept you updated with what shenanigans the Avengers were up to and with what he was up to and the more days that passed, the more you missed him and everyone else. But you grew closer and closer to cracking down HYDRA's base. It had been easy to go undercover and get some connections, so the final phase of SHIELD's plan was almost ready. Within these couple of months, you managed to become a part of HYDRA's operation, but with the intention of exposing and destroying them.