gauntlet

a/n: this one's gonna be a little sad

warning: based on endgame. i'm pretty sure everyone's seen it but just a little spoiler warning

word count: 1687

Sitting outside of the cafe, in front of the Avengers tower, was always your favorite passing time. Tony Stark sometimes flew out in his Iron Man suits for a test-fly, which was always such a breathtaking sight to see.

"Ya waiting for him to swing by?" A male voice asked from beside you as you looked up to the building.

"How did you know?" You asked, furrowing your eyebrows and smiling. You looked over to see a man with blond hair and beautiful, blue eyes.

"I happen to know him, Stark," He said, facing himself to you as you turned your body to face his.

"Really now? Must be nice to be friends with a billionaire."

"He's kind of a pain, but he means well," He chuckled, his eyes glowing as you smiled. "What's your name?"

"I'm Y/N," You said, finding it hard to keep your eyes off of him. "Yours?"

"I'm Steve," He said as he held his hand out to shake, you shook it. He looked at his watch, noting the time. "And I... really should be going back to the tower."

He got up, smiling at you. "I hope we can meet another time."

From there, you two had always seen each other at the cafe. He ordered a black coffee and you ordered iced coffee. Slowly but surely, these meetups became dates. He revealed to you the other side of his life, being Captain America. He took you to the tower you had looked up to for months and had you meet the rest of the Avengers.

Today, you were an Avenger. You were fighting on the battlefield alongside Steve, Tony, Thor, and so many others that you had lost count. Thanks to Tony and his trust in you, he helped you develop your own suit. With his advancements, you'd be stepping with him every step of the way, and with his development of a nanotech suit, you weren't left out of the equation. You were fighting a battle that would either save or destroy the universe against the army of a titan, Thanos. With his interest of the six infinity stones, he would be able to take out all the life that he wishes to take out with the single action of a snap.

"This is for you, Nat," You thought as you blasted at those getting in your way between Thanos and you. Nat had been your go-to when Tony was upset or working, and she sacrificed herself for the soul stone, so you weren't going to let her sacrifice go that easily. As you got closer to Thanos, you saw Thor, Steve, and Tony battling against him, together. Though it made you proud to see your best friend, Tony, and your husband, Steve come together and fight for what truly was right, your mind couldn't bear to think of what could possibly happen to either three of them if something went wrong.

Making your way closer to them, you noticed that Thanos was starting to gain control and brushed the three off of him with ease. He threw Thor onto the ground and as Thor reached out for Stormbreaker, Thanos grabbed it before Thor could. You gasped, struggling to move forward, but still maintaining your stance.

Suddenly, the Mjolnir flew towards the pair, hitting Thanos and taking him off balance. Wondering who it could've come from, you quickly observed the area around you. It was Steve.

It was the party before Ultron had swung by. Everyone was drinking, laughing, and joking with each other at the seating area of the Stark Tower.

"Uh, 'Whosoever be he worthy shall haveth the power!' Whatever man, it's a trick!" Clint joked as he pointed to the Mjolnir.

"Well, please, be my guest," Thor chuckled as he took a sip from his glass.