the pencil

a/n: a short little imagine, something inspired by my cousin's relationship advice lmao

this'll be a college!au hehe

——

Steven Rogers.

The boy with the nice blond hair and the beautiful blue eyes. The moment you walked into class for the second time, you saw that someone had taken your seat, your unassigned assigned seat. It annoyed you slightly, now your perspective on the class was thrown off and you had to find another seat.

Without much thought, you sat behind Steve. You sighed and set your things down, opening your notebook and taking out your pens to begin the lecture of the day. With your eyes focused on your paper, you didn't notice Steve turn and glance over at you quickly. Then, you heard someone clear their throat. Looking up, you were now face-to-face with him.

"Is everything okay?" You asked, setting down your pen and looking at Steve. His eyes looked into yours, you felt frozen in the moment as he opened his mouth slightly and smiled. You didn't notice, but he was very nervous. He had wanted an excuse to talk to you since the first day of class, and now he did have an excuse. Even if it was based on a lie.

"Uh," He began and gulped, keeping his eyes on you. His mind blanked, then he panicked and his eyes landed on the pen set on your table. He knew he had a pencil on his desk, but hell, anything to start a conversation. "Do you have a pencil? Mine ran out of... ink."

"You mean pen?" You chuckled as you bent down to grab one out of your backpack. His face grew a bright shade of pink and he nodded. You handed him a pen, smiling as he took it.

Class went on, he hid the pencil he had laid on his desk so you wouldn't notice that he had already had one.

"Thank you," He practically whispered as he smiled sweetly at you, handing back your pen.

"Actually, keep it. I have tons more," You responded as you pushed his hand back, closing his grip onto the pen.

You got up, grabbing your bag and leaving the room. Steve scrambled around with his things, tumbling as he tried to make his way towards you before you got onto the elevator to leave.

"Y/N! Wait," He frantically called out as you stepped onto the elevator. Your head went up at the call of your name, as a result of you trying to find the direction of the voice. Steve waved frantically to you as he finally managed to slip his notebook into his backpack, and smiled as he saw you walk over to him. "I was wondering if it was okay if I could get your number? Y'know, just in case I miss a lecture or need help with an assignment."

Your smile widened at the sound of his suggestion. You felt your heart float and butterflies appear at your stomach.

"Okay, yeah! That's more than okay," You grabbed his phone from his hand and grabbed yours from your back pocket, handing him yours. The seconds of anticipation between you two was evident as you tapped each number into each other's phones. "Alright, here's my number!"

"Thanks, Y/N," Steve sweetly smiled as he gave you your phone back. "Do you happen to be busy right now?"

You shook your head and put your phone into your pocket. "I don't have class for two hours, you?"

"Me too! Wanna get coffee?" He excitedly asked, forgetting to keep his cool. You chuckled and nodded.

As you two walked together, Steve began to realize that from these short moments, he wanted to do anything in his power to keep you in his life. Over the course of the semester, you two grew inseparable as you would go to the gym together, eat together, and walk each other to class. Then, it was finally the week before finals and you had reserved a study room inside the library.

"You okay on Bio?" You asked him as he had his hands set on his forehead as he stared at his textbooks, which were scattered all over the floor. He nodded without letting out a word.

"Can I ask you something?"  He suddenly asked, lifting his head up to face you. You turned the desk chair around to face him and nodded. "Okay, well, for my speech class our final speech is supposed to be about an occasion that means a lot to us. I want to talk about when I met you."

You looked up from the notebook on your lap and at Steve. You smiled and closed the book, setting it onto the table.

"Why is that?" You asked him, getting up from your seat to sit next to him on the ground. He smiled at you and unglued his eyes from the mass of papers set on the floor.

"Well," Steve shrugged and began blushing, his eyes glancing at yours and occasionally to your lips for a few milliseconds. You noticed, cupping his cheek as a you bit the corner of your bottom lip. Without much thought, you inched closer to Steve and set your lips onto his. Your heart had already been beating fast, but kissing Steve brought a different rush to you, and this feeling was mutual. Steve set his hands on your cheeks, then brought one to your waist and pulled you closer. You then pulled away, not wanting to, did.

"I liked that," You laughed and felt your face get warm. Steve nodded and laughed as well, a glitter at his eyes appearing.

"After finals are done, let me take you on a date," Steve proposed as he looked over to you.

"It's a deal."