destiny

a/n: i'm in florida for the week and now that i can't sleep bc of time difference (i'm from cali hehe). i've been and will be super busy this week so i will try my best to upload this asap!

word count: 1291 words

"Y/N, I'm sick and tired of you always having something to say on missions! God, it's like you and Tony are the exact same person and I'm over it!" Steve practically yelled as you both entered your room in the Avengers headquarters.

"Jesus Steve, it's not that serious! I made one little comment and Tony fucking makes all the comments he can possibly come up with and does he get this bullshit?! No! Bring him in the damn room if you're tired of humor," You responded as you threw your stuff next to your desk. It had been a very successful mission, so you couldn't understand why Steve was so angry about what had happened before the mission.

"Y/N, Tony isn't my girlfriend. I would at least expect you to support me, coming up with attack plans isn't exactly the easiest task. You should know all this when I stay up late and look over the files thoroughly to make sure nobody gets hurt! I expect Tony to be an asshole, but I don't expect my girlfriend to join him in being one," Steve disappointingly said as he walked up to you as your faces were inches apart from each other. You could feel the tension in the room, but you were tired of always having to be serious for "the sake of the mission" and never being able to lighten anyone's mood. Every time you made a joke, the others laughed and rejoiced as Steve would become frustrated. At first, it was funny to see Steve upset (you thought he was playing), but it gradually got worse. Now, he reached his breaking point.

"Steve, this is who I am. I am sarcastic. I make jokes all the time. I am half of the comic relief of this team. I don't do it with bad intentions, I do it with the intention to—"

"Y/N, you don't get it!" Steve yelled as he slammed his fist into the wall next to the both of you and sighed. The room was filled with tension and you knew that the rest of the Avengers were shocked because Steve and you would rarely ever seriously argue.

"I think I do get it, Steve," You responded as you turned away and touched the doorknob. "If you aren't going to let me be myself to make other people feel better, then I'm done. All I've ever done is support you and help you with your attack plans. I'm over you scolding me every time I'm having fun, even outside of missions. You always find a way to twist the blame on me and I'm tired of being the reason why something didn't work out. Goodbye Steve."

"Y/N, what the hell?! This isn't even that serious," Steve frustratingly let out as he put his hand on his hip and his other running through his hair. "You know what? If you want to go, go. I'm not gonna stop you. I've always made my feelings clear and apparently they don't matter enough to you if you leave. Peggy would have never gotten mad at me over something like this."

His eyes widened as his last sentence came out. You felt as if someone had knocked the air out of you.

"Y/N... I'm so—"

You left before Steve finished. Tears came streaming down your cheeks without any chance for you to hold them back.

"I'm sorry guys. I have to go," You softly whispered to the rest of the team as you crossed the lounge and into the elevator of the Avengers tower. It was the last you saw of them all in a while.

[ time lapse ]

It's been a year since you had moved out of the Avengers tower. Agent Hill at SHIELD helped you a ton in being able to discretely move your stuff into a roomy apartment in the heart of New York City, which you were grateful for. Even though you had moved, you still had things that belonged to Steve and Steve still had things that belonged to you.

Regardless of the things that happened the last time you saw Steve, you could never get him off of your mind. Temptations arose where you would want to call him on your phone, just to say a quick hello. But you knew that it wouldn't just be a quick hello.

One day, you decided to do something for yourself. You bought a plane ticket to Chicago to get out of the New York craze that you so badly wanted to get out of. You set out to go to the Pier and felt relaxed to finally be outside of New York.

"Y/N?! What are you doing here?" A voice shouted. You winced at the familiarity of the voice as you felt your face get hot. You walked away slowly without looking at the person. "Y/N, come back!"

You turned back and saw Steve.

"The real question is, what are you doing here?" You responded as you took your baseball cap off.

"I... well, I'm here for a mission. Can we talk?"

"Steve, you know—"

"Y/N, please. Let's go out on a walk," Steve insisted as his eyes grew sadder than they did at first.

You sighed and walked over towards him. You began to think, what was the possibility of him being in the same place at the same time? It seemed like destiny. He pulled you in for a hug and you slowly hugged back. Your heart began to race at the fact that the man you loved was hugging you again, even after what had happened when you last saw him.

"Y/N, I know it's been a long time, but I love you. So much," Steve sighed as he put his head down and walked by your side. "I know you won't come back as easy as I may want it to be, but I'm willing to move closer to you."

"Steve, the rest of the team needs you. What is the Avengers without a Captain America?" You responded as you sighed and looked up to him. His eyes still had the same sparkle they held when he saw you. He sighed and said nothing.

The sun began to set and you decided to go back to your hotel room. Steve had walked you up to your door to make sure you would be safe. As you were closing the door of your hotel room, Steve held it open and stopped you. He walked in and gave you the warmest, passionate kiss. His hands wrapped around your waist and pulled you closer to him as your hands ran through his hair. He pulled away and you both stared at each other for a few seconds.

"Steve..." You softly whispered as you looked up at him.

"Y/N... I'm so sorry, it was impulsive and I know you don't want this right now—"

"Shh, Steve. Let this last a little," You whispered as you ran your fingers down his neck and stopped at his chest. He looked down at you and hugged you tighter, resting his chin on your head.

"You're my best girl, Y/N. I can't ever get through this without you. I don't care how long I have to wait, but I will be here for you. You're what my future is, Y/N," Steve confessed, trying to make his voice not crack. You hugged him harder and smiled.

Steve was your person. He always was, is, and will be. His love returned to you and you wanted it to stay for the rest of your life. It was destiny.