nightmare

a/n: i'm still kind of feeling grossly uninspired >:(

word count: 488

Debris everywhere. HYDRA agents laying everywhere, either unconscious or dead, most likely dead. Shit.

Steve walked, quietly, against the wall. He held his shield in front of him for protection.

"Anyone? Does anyone copy?" Steve whispered over the comms. Seconds passed, no answer.

"Steve?" Your voice filled the comms, full of pain and fading. "Wh-where are you? I think.. I'm hurt."

"Doll? I'll come to you, where are you?" Steve hid behind a pile of debris.

"On your left," You said loudly, putting all your energy into your words. Steve ran up to you, feeling immediately guilty.

"Oh my god.. oh my g-god... Y/N, I'm so sorry," Steve kneeled before you in disbelief. He saw a puddle of blood under you, too much to even guess how much.

"Don't apologize," You said, coughed blood out. "I love you..."

As he cupped your cheeks into his hands, he felt tears stream down his face as your gaze froze. He closed your eyes and tried to think. Think.

The rest of the team. Where are they?

Steve got up, after taking a moment to pray for what may come. Not too far from you was Tony, his helmet knocked off.

Getting closer to him, Steve noticed that he was unconscious. Steve kneeled beside him, looking for what injuries he had.

"You could've saved us," Tony jolted up, wide-eyed. Steve jumped back, stumbling on himself. "You could've done more."

Just like the nightmare, Steve jolted up. Unlike the nightmare, you laid beside him, waking up to his sudden movement.

"Steve?" You softly asked, not yet fully awake. Steve sighed, wiping the sweat off from his forehead. You noticed his angst, and immediately snapped out of your sleepiness. "Are you okay? Steve, I'm here. I'm here."

You touched his cheek with one of your hands, trailing down to his neck. He looked over to you with fear and loss, as if someone had died.

"Y/N, I had a terrible nightmare. I'm just glad you're here with me. I'm glad that you're okay," He said, grabbing his glass of water from his bedside table and drinking from it.

"What happened in the dream, Steve?" You asked, putting your full attention on him as you rested your head on your arm.

"Well, it wasn't good. We were at a HYDRA base. We were looking for Bucky, we failed. You all died," Steve began. "I think I'm just nervous for tomorrow, that's all."

"Hey," You started, scooting closer to Steve and snuggling closer to him, wrapping your arms around his waist. "Even if we don't find him, we have each other for a reason. To protect each other. We're not leaving anyone behind, even if it means fighting a bunch of loser agents off. We'll get him. Together."

And with that, Steve sighed happily, if anyone was better at giving pep talks than him, it definitely had to be you.