melodies pt. 2

You hurriedly got up, clutching the notebook to your chest. You felt a flow of adrenaline spread throughout your body as you followed behind Nat and Sam. They remembered the last time they had heard his voice, he was on one of HYDRA's ships, completing their mission to stop HYDRA from killing millions of people who were a possible threat to their cause.

Sam couldn't help but feel guilty, if Steve's friend– the Winter Soldier– hadn't torn off his Falcon wings, he would've been able to save him. Even though they dismantled SHIELD, HYDRA was still strong. They didn't need SHIELD to flourish, which was the sick part of it all. There were still undercover government officials who would die for HYDRA's cause, and Steve Rogers being in their custody brought Sam more nightmares than he could ever think he would ever have.

Nat had found Steve laying in the shore of the river nearby where they had taken down HYDRA's ship. Nick Fury was operating his operation in an abandoned underground tunnel alongside Maria Hill, so they helped arrange for Steve's recovery.

Something about finding Steve was unsettling though. Why had he just been almost handed over? Was he brainwashed too? Nat didn't know and couldn't figure out until Steve fully recovered and was able to talk to them the way they had before.

They were all anxious to enter Steve's room. They had just transferred Steve from the hospital to his old room in the Avengers tower, but didn't tell you so that you would be less worried.

You all walked into his room and saw his figure in bed, asleep. He looked peaceful, which made your heart flutter. There was a nurse there alongside Maria, who was making sure he was stable before you neared. She sympathetically looked at you and gave you a hug, leaving shortly to continue her new job with Stark Industries.

Trying not to think anything of Steve before he told you anything, you remembered the words he had written into his notebook.

Take me to your paradise
On a musical ride
I'm in love with your music, baby

You gripped the worn-out, black notebook tightly, tighter than before– if that were possible. Sitting next to Steve was surreal, you didn't remember the last time he was this close to you. You had almost forgotten how it felt to have him wrap you in his warmth. His eyes were closed, accompanied with dark circles under his eyes. His cheekbone had featured a deep cut and a bruise that swelled his face in that area and his lower lip a gash.

Sam had plugged in his phone into a little speaker Steve had in his room, playing Marvin Gaye's "Trouble Man" as he leaned on the wall by the door, giving you two space. You looked at him with your soft gaze fixed on his resting figure, figuring out what you wanted to say and how to say it. Steve hadn't gotten hurt to this level almost ever and you never thought you'd see him in a state such as this. But HYDRA can make the unpredictable happen.

You looked down, closing your eyes and relaxing. The bed sheets began to slowly move as Steve stirred, slowly opening his eyes and looking around the room.

'Where am I?' He thought to himself as he noticed someone seated beside his name. It was you, he recognized you. You were his significant other. You cared for him. But something at the back of his mind made him feel unsafe, something made him doubt your intentions and the intentions of others around him.

"How are you feeling?" You asked, nearing closer to the bed he laid on. You hid the notebook under another magazine that you grabbed from Steve's desktop and focused your attention on him.

"Groggy... nauseous," Steve sighed as he sat himself up against the pillows on the headboard. He glared at you, barely making eye contact. He felt uneasy, you could sense it. But you didn't mention it for the sake of his recovery. Everything had to come step-by-step. He looked around the room, recognizing a few items. This was his room, he assumed as he saw the occasional, old World War II memorabilia placed on a shelf or a photo on the wall.

Over the next couple of weeks, Steve's injuries and uncared for injuries had gotten better. Though his physical appearance may have recovered from the physical abuse he faced, the emotional scars were fresh. Steve struggled daily, thankfully they hadn't gone through the brainwashing phase yet, but everything else was just as bad.

Steve remembered the cold, closed-off rooms they would enclose him in. For two months, it was practically himself who kept him occupied, and no plan to escape was going to work if it was just him. He was counting on anyone from the Avengers to get him back.

As he recovered, you were by his side to help him through anything. Though he wasn't disclosing much information, he had hardly any trust in anyone. It was as if he expected you to turn on him and stab him in the back, literally and metaphorically. It was difficult to deal with, but he slowly gained trust in you. You never told him about looking into his notebook, but you would remember the lyrics he had written about you when you felt defeated.

Steve looked through his drawers to find the notebook you had found. He flipped through the pages and remembered the moments he had written everything. Maybe going back to writing would bring his mind at ease, maybe it would bring him comfort. He grabbed a pencil and his guitar– he wasn't too good, but he knew what he was doing.

After hours of being outside in the balcony, you decided to bring him inside.

"Steve?" You asked as he strummed peacefully.

He looked up at you with the sparkle in his eyes that you missed. The sparkle that was taken from him.

"Sit," He happily said as he patted the spot next to him. "I came up with something. For you. For helping me through whatever HYDRA put me through."

He began to play on his guitar, slowly, but beautifully. He cleared his throat, beginning to sing softly.

"Your voice is quite a view, I heard a song and then I saw you, I learned the lyrics and knew you were mine, dance the horizon with you," Steve sang as he felt his cheeks warm up at seeing you look at him. You smiled, admiring him as he poured his heart in front of you.

"I wanna sing you a sunrise, and be the dawn I know will move you, I'd like to be the strings on your guitar, touch me and play what you feel," He finished as he stopped playing. You looked at each other, lovingly gazing into each other's eyes.

"I love you, Rogers," You whispered as you wrapped your arms around his neck and pulled him closer.

"I love you too, sweetheart," Steve whispered as he closed his eyes, taking in your presence. Tonight made up for all the nights he spent, afraid of opening up. He had finally opened up and felt at ease.

———

a/n: i'm so happy w the way this one came out. also!!

i just got a job, so my schedule will be difficult to work around. my goal is to still be active on here, but it won't be as often as i'd like it to be )':

writing is still one of my favorite things to do and it kind of sucks that i have to do other things but that's life!! i will def still be on, just not 24/7