dog days

Running through the busy New York streets, you kept your eyes glued onto the tiny, white figure running through the crowd.

"Leo! Leo, come here!" You shouted, trying to catch up with your dog. You held the leash in your grasp, but wishing that you were holding your dog instead.

Within a matter of seconds, you bumped into a tall figure.

"Oh my god, I am so sorry," You apologized quickly, picking up the leash from the floor.

"Is everything okay?" The man asked. He was wearing a flannel, tucked in, with khakis and his blond hair slicked back, strands loose over his face. He was definitely cute, but getting his number wasn't your main goal right now.

"Uh, well my dog kind of got loose so I'm kind of in a hurry," You chuckled nervously, trying to spot your dog somewhere in the crowd.

"I'll help you," The man offered, searching the crowd for him.

"That'd be awesome, I don't really run fast," You joked as you both began to run towards your little pup through the crowd.

"Okay, I'm gonna run on the left and you run on the right side of the sidewalk, okay? So we can close in on him and grab him," The man suggested, you taking his suggestion.

Within seconds, you caught up to the dog and began to close in on him. You swooped him up, feeling a wave of relief as your pup was in your arms now.

"I felt like I was gonna have a heart attack! Don't ever do that again," You said to Leo, who was panting like crazy.

"Thank you, by the way," You told the man, who was still standing beside you.

"It's no problem," He smiled as Leo pounced onto him and licked his face.

"Well, stranger, if it's not too much trouble I'd like to treat you. As a thanks for helping me save my pup," You proposed.

"Treat me? It's nothing really, I know you'd probably do the same for someone else," He reasoned.

"You're right, but still. It's in my moral code that I thank someone for something they've helped me with," You reasoned, resulting in him giving in and you two sitting outside of a coffee shop.

"So, I don't think I caught your name," The man began as you both relaxed.

"You're right, well, my names Y/N," You introduced yourself properly. "Yours?"

The man smiled, responding with, "My name's Steve."

"Well, Steve, it was very nice to meet you, even if it was at my dog's expense," You smiled, as he took a sip from his coffee. Behind him was the infamous Avengers tower, something you had never really thought much of.

"Y'know, it's so surreal. All those heroes being up there, it's like a whole different world," You noted, swirling your straw in your drink. Steve laughed a little, not saying much. You noticed the laugh and felt your heartbeat get faster.

"Did I say something wrong?" You panicked, feeling gutted at potentially ruining a new friendship.

"No, not at all, Y/N. It's just.. um, I'm Captain America," Steve admitted, causing you to cringe in your seat.

"Oh my god, this is so embarrassing," You his your face, laughing at yourself for not realizing earlier.

"No no, don't worry about it! It's refreshing to know there're people who would treat me like I'm a normal person. If you want, someday I could show you around. I'm sure Stark wouldn't mind," Steve offered, getting up from his seat as you both finished up your drinks.

"That would be like going to Disneyland for me," You laughed as Leo walked in front of you, heading home. With debate, Steve had walked you home and stopped in the hall in front of your door.

"It was nice meeting you, Steve," You bid your farewell as you got into your apartment and looked at the slip of paper he had written his number on. You looked over to Leo, who had just finished drinking from his water bowl. He barked in response, walking over to you.

"We should go on walks more, huh?"