back in time

a/n: i complain about being stuck on what to write all the TIMEE lol

——

Steve's mission was to get back the infinity stones that were used to defeat Thanos. Hopping onto the time machine with them in his hand was difficult, more so due to the fact that Tony wasn't here anymore. His heart ached at remembering, but he had to do this now. He nervously glanced over at you, his eyes making contact with yours briefly before reminding himself to remain confident. Steve was your fiancé, you had dated ever since after the battle of New York.

"How long is this gonna take?" Sam asks, turning to Bruce and raising an eyebrow.

"For him? As long as he needs," Bruce explains while pushing up his glasses. "For us, five seconds."

Sam nodded, his arms crossed across his chest.

"Ready Cap?" Bruce asked as he tilted his head, looking up at Steve. Steve nodded and took a deep breath as he straightened his posture. "Alright, we'll meet you back here, okay?"

"You bet," Steve responded, gripping the handle of the briefcase the infinity stones were encased in. You gave him a reassuring smile as you walked closer, standing at Bucky and Sam's side. He smiled back, feeling his palms get slightly sweaty as he made fists.

"Going quantum, three, two, one.." Bruce announced as Steve disappeared out of thin air as Bruce said 'one'. "And returning in five, four, three, two, one..."

Steve didn't appear. Bruce furrows his eyebrows, looking at the pieces of equipment he had set up. Your heart began to race, immediately fearing the worst.

"Bruce, where is he?" You nervously asked, stepping closer and growing more frantic as seconds passed, Steve still not coming back.

"I don't know. He blew right by his time stamp. He should be here," Bruce rambled, feeling his heart beat out of his chest.

"Well, get him back," Sam frustratingly stated, the annoyance in his voice becoming apparent.

"I'm trying," Bruce's voice lowered as his eyes searched around the keypad before him.

"Get him the hell back."

"Hey, I said I'm trying!" Bruce's voice rose as his mind raced at a million miles per second. You felt your throat grow tight as he frantically walked back-and-forth, trying to improvise and figure something out.

"Sam, Y/N," Bucky calmly said, pointing his head and looking at the bench by the lake. You both looked in unison, seeing a small, male figure seated with his hands in his pockets. Sam's jaw dropped as he saw the sight before him. You looked at Sam, who smiled  softly and motioned for you to go. You filled, taking steps closer to him. As you neared, you saw who the man before you was.

"Hey, Y/N," Steve smiled, his blue eyes glittering with delight as he saw you.

"Hey, Steve," You smiled softly, recognizing that it was the man you loved, but before the serum. "Long trip, huh?"

Steve smiled and giggled, patting the seat next to him and scooting over. "I don't know where to start."

Steve was small, but that didn't change anything. You still loved him to death, and you thought he was absolutely adorable the way he was. He snaked his arm around your waist and blushed lightly, his heart pounding at your presence.

"For a second there, I thought you were gonna leave me behind," You chuckled as you looked down at the leaves that were scattered on top of the grass. He softly chuckled in response, moving his hand from your waist to your hand.

"I could never. You're my fiancée, sweetheart. And I got Bucky and Sam to worry about," He smiled, looking at you.

"I love you, Steve," You sighed happily as you planted a kiss on his lips.

"I love you more."