if only

a/n: something short just bc i have a little bit of writers block /:

word count: 850

Your eyes filled with tears as you looked into the mirror. You were wearing all black, getting ready for Steve's funeral.

"Don't you dare die on me, Rogers," You joked as you went to drop him off at the train station. That day was the day your boyfriend, Steve, was going into the war to fight for your country. You believed in him and knew that he would put his all into the fight, but a part of you couldn't help but feel scared that something would happen to him.

"Wouldn't dream of it, doll," He said as he squeezed your hand. Bells rang around you and soldiers began to hop on the trains. "I think that's my cue."

You looked at him, your eyes brimming with tears. "I love you, Steve Grant Rogers. Write to me every chance you got."

"I love you too, sweetheart," He said back before kissing you. Before you knew it, he was gone.

Steve's death wasn't due to fighting on the battlefield. His work on the field was exceptional, winning every battle he was in. His strategy was above all others and he gained respect after rescuing troop 107, the troop where Bucky was enlisted to, from enemy imprisonment. He died in a bargain of his life or the lives of millions living in New York City. He chose his life, knowing that it would hurt you, but knowing that you would understand.

You went through the day as they dug an empty coffin, they hadn't found his body yet. You cried with nobody by your side. You accepted everyone's deepest condolences, knowing that they were oblivious to the extent of the pain you were going through.

You arrived to your apartment, closing the door behind you. You set down everything you had, laying on your bed and staring at the ceiling. You replayed every sweet memory you held of Steve. From the moment you had told him you had loved him to the moment he last wrote to you. Without Steve and Bucky, how would you get through everything?

If only he had returned from the war that was won. If only you had been able to hold him once more. If only you could see him again. You would tell him how grateful you were for him, and how incredibly handsome he had always been, even before the serum. His eyes would twinkle with joy as he would wrap his arms around you, spinning you in the air as he kissed you.

If he had returned, you would spend the first day of his return talking about everything you both had missed. He would describe the way everyone would admire him for being Captain America but the way he still felt self conscious. You would tell him of the daily occurrences, even though they weren't as monumental as his were, you knew he needed a little ordinary to feel at home. There was a knock at the door.

You walked up to it slowly, peeking through the peephole.

"Mr. Stark?" You softly asked, looking up at him. He held a small metal box in his hands. "May I help you?"

"Miss Y/N, correct?" He asked, you nodding in response. "May I come in?"

You nodded again, letting him in.

"Apart from my deepest condolences, I have come to offer you a sense of closure," Howard explained, pulling out the key to the box's lock. He held his hand out to you, offering the key. "And an opportunity."

You took the key, slipping it into the lock. You slowly opened the box as it revealed everything he had kept in it. You stared at the box for a moment, looking back up at Howard Stark. He looked at you with sadness, offering his hand. You took it and asked, "An opportunity?"

Howard nodded, a faint smile appearing. "Steve would always ramble on about how you would kick anyone's ass if he had ever gotten in trouble. How noble and honest you were. As you and Bucky were the two most important figures in his life, I would like to offer you a role with SHIELD, more specifically, to find Steve."

Your eyes went back to the box's interior as he explained, noticing that the items all had some sort of connection to you. You picked up a locket, the locket you had slipped into Steve's pocket before he left. Opening it, was a photo of you. There were pictures of you two from various occasions and letters that you had wrote to him all packed into the box.

"So what do you say, Miss?" Howard asked, tilting his head.

Thinking of the slim possibility where you would maybe, just maybe, find him and he would be alive is what drove you. You had it in you to not give up on Steve, regardless of the perception others had on the situation. This could bring Steve back to you, and that possibility was all that you needed to say yes.

"When do we start?" You asked, holding the locket and looking at Howard.