somebody else

a/n: kind of sad??

Steve looked over to you and Tony as you two were cracking up. Steve huffed and rolled his eyes, turning away from his sight.

"You're that bothered, huh?" Bucky asked and smiled softly at Steve. "Tell her how you feel, Steve. It's been a year."

"I know, I just can't help myself. I just wish it wasn't so hard," Steve pouted as he crossed his arms across his chest, looking away from you. You two had dated for a brief moment, but you agreed that it maybe wasn't the best for either of you. Now, a year later, Steve regretted ever thinking that. You were always on his mind and the feelings he felt then were still there. Now, you two were at a party Tony had thrown, but this one was for you. It was your birthday and Tony wanted to go all out. "I mean, c'mon, Bucky, he's never gone over-the-top for anyone but Y/N. Isn't that telling of something?"

Bucky shrugged, taking a sip from his drink. "We'd all go all out for Y/N."

Point taken. Steve shrugged, knowing Bucky was right. Steve checked his pocket, noting the little box was still in there. He planned to give you a necklace, it was simple, but it was absolutely beautiful. It was a locket, which had two small pictures of you and him together. With giving you the locket, he wanted to redo everything that had happened beforehand. It seemed like a good idea.

He straightened out his light grey button up and cleared his throat, beginning to walk up to you. With each step he took, he felt his heart beat faster and faster. He looked to you, seeing you laugh as your eyes glittered with joy. Seeing you that happy always made his heart skip a beat, and he wanted to own up to his mistakes and be the reason behind your beautiful smile again.

He tapped Tony's shoulder, clearing his throat. "Can I borrow Y/N for a sec?"

Tony looked over his shoulder and nodded, smiling. He had the same look in his eyes as Y/N did, the look of complete happiness.

"Hey, Y/N," Steve sweetly greeted and pulled her in for a hug. "Can I talk to you outside?"

"Of course, Steve," You said, smiling as he held his arm out. You took it and followed him outside.

"I got this for you, it's just a little something I thought you'd like," Steve smiled as he gulped, revealing the locket. Your eyes glittered as the locket came into your sight of vision. Steve stepped behind you, putting on the locket.

"It's really nice, Steve," You beamed as you opened the little compass-shaped locket, seeing the pictures. You turned around and hugged Steve, wrapping your arms around his neck. He felt his heart race as you did so, and hoped you didn't notice.

"Hey, Y/N," Steve stumbled on his words as you separated from the hug. "Can I tell you something?"

You looked up at Steve, nodding. "What is it?"

"Well, I... I still love you," He gulped as he felt sweat forming on his forehead. He felt his throat tighten as the words left his mouth. You looked up at him, shocked.

"Steve.." You said, not knowing what to say. You didn't know how to tell him.

"It was a mistake, breaking up with you. I didn't realize it until after. I love you, Y/N. And I want to make up for putting you through anything and everything I put you through," Steve rambled as he grabbed your hand and put it into his grasp.

"Steve, you mean the world to me. Always have, always will. But I can't," You gave him a look of sorrow. "I'm seeing somebody else."

His heart sank.

"Oh..." Steve's voice trailed as he looked down at his shoes. "I'm sorry, Y/N."

Steve said as he turned away, leaving you to grab his wrist. "But that doesn't mean you don't hold a special place in my heart, Steve. You're the Steve Rogers. And even if we didn't work out a year ago, you'll always have a spot in my heart reserved, just for you."

You pulled him in for a hug, feeling your heart ache slightly. Steve held you, squeezing you a little tight at the waist.

"It's okay, Y/N," Steve said, hiding his sorrow with a smile on his face. "Go enjoy your party."

With that, and more reassuring statements from Steve, you left and went back inside to the party.

He waited too long. He waited too long to tell you. Who was it that you were seeing?

The answer was immediately presented when he walked in. 

Steve looked to the dance floor, seeing Bucky and the rest of the Avengers dancing. But two were missing. You and Tony. As the song selection began to slow down and become more romantic, you two were holding each other. Tony had his arms around your waist and your arms were around his neck.

Steve sighed, leaving the party and isolated himself for the rest of the night. He loved you and waited too long to say it.

It was the worst mistake he'd ever made.