U N C L E | JINSOO

lowercase intended.
...
"hello, good evening," a cheerful voice greeted from the other side of the door. jin rolled his eyes and shut the wooden block in front of the raven-haired girl outside.

he turned around, loosened his tie and separated the first few buttons of his dress shirt. he's had a rough day at work. now, he was going to face the consequences of leaving his nephew alone at home.

soobin was a very rowdy boy. over the years that the boy was in his care, he's gotten used to it, but that didn't mean he was anywhere near happy with how the eight year-old acted.

everyday, jin would come home from work and would find soobin in a questionable position in the living room. often times, he would have his back leaning against the headrest while his head stood from the couch cushions while he watched the latest music bank episode on full blast. on rare occasions, he would be seated properly and demurely on the couch; however, his favourite genre of music would still be loud enough to wake up people from the town next to theirs.

"excuse me!"

jin huffed and placed his hands onto his hips. the girl was still here after his rude attempt of ridding her from his door step?

the incessant dings of the door bell were making him go nuts! this was nothing compared to soobin's full-blast home concerts, not at all. but for the first time in his entire life, the boy was asleep in his room.

at five in the evening, soobin bid his uncle good night and started camping in his sleeping space— this was out of the ordinary, but jin was quite relieved to hear it. with a pat on the head, he sent the brown-haired boy on his way.

he pulled the door open with much force that it made the girl jump on her spot.

"what do you want?" he spat.

still, the girl smiled. "sorry to bother you at this time, sir, but most of the neighbourhood is complaining about how loud your household is. the kids are barely getting their well-deserved afternoon naps and majority of the grandmas can't hear their tv audio due to the music."

jin couldn't suppress the yawn he was trying to let off any longer. he put a hand over his mouth. his eyes were hooded and his arms fell limp against his frame. "i'm really sorry, i'll talk to my nephew about it."

"thank you! i hope you have a great evening." jisoo bowed and grinned before walking away onto the cement sidewalk— hoping that the usual bts concert re-enactments would stop (or at least quiet down a little bit) so that she could study for her upcoming university finals.
...
"hey, samchon," soobin rubbed his hand over his eyes as he entered the kitchen through the joint in the living room, "what's for dinner?"

"자장면." jin replied stoically.

soobin, sensing that something was wrong, furrowed his eyebrows as he pushed himself onto the chairs. he didn't know what he did wrong— literally, the boy had no idea if the things he did on a daily basis were even considered 'alright', but his uncle often lets him off the hook, so he'll consider it a pass.

"anything wrong?"

"soobinie~" jin started with a frown, "the neighbour approached me earlier and told me that the house has been very noisy. now, i know that you enjoy listening to music and performing your heart out in the living room. i don't scold you about it, but i think it's gotten a bit too far."

soobin scrunched his face in confusion. "so i can't play music anymore?"

"you can, but just lower the volume, okay? people are bothered by it."

"oh...okay."

in retrospect, jin should have known something was up when his nephew was being compliant instead of putting up a fight.
...
"uhm, hey," the raven-haired girl was back at it again the week after. thankfully, her exams have passed by and she hoped studying in the community library after school hours (she couldn't do it at home due to the loud music from the house beside their's) and attending cram school was paying off. still, she was lowkey very stressed because her grandmother has been nudging her to go back to the kim's residence next door.

'i can't hear song joong-ki's voice!' her grandma complained earlier this morning, 'that kim seokjin better learn to discipline his nephew or i'll file an official complaint to the neighbourhood heads.'

jin leaned his head to the side; shooting the girl a questionable look. "what brings your here?...again?"

"mr. kim, your nephew is still making in the surrounding residences deaf."

seokjin placed his hands on his hips and sighed. that nephew of his was eventually going to get him in trouble and he had no time to spare for the law regulations.

"i'm really sorry. that kid is really uncontrollable, not to mention ruthless. he always abuses the fact that i'm not always at home. i'm his uncle, so why won't he listen to me?! i've devoted half of my 20's to raising that kid and this is how he repays me?!" jin was rambling non-stop.

he wanted to vent-out to someone. just this once. his job was getting more and more exhausting by the day (with paperworks piling up on his desk every time he entered his office) and he had to deal with soobin's bratty attitude when he got home.

an idea popped into jisoo's mind. with a small and hesitant smile, she asked:

"you said you're not always at home, right?"

jin nodded his head to confirm her claim. "well, maybe, i can stay over with him when he arrives from school and then i'll leave when you get back from work."

the brown-haired man started cackling loudly. "what's your name again?" he asked out of his breath. he restrained himself from chortling more because of the incredulous looks the girl was giving him.

it was too hard to hold in. soobin didn't even listen to his own uncle, how much more a neighbour that was basically classified as a stranger?

"kim jisoo."

jisoo was willing to do everything just so she could make her grandmother stop nagging that she couldn't watch her favourite drama in peace. even if she had to babysit the unruly kid that lived next door.

jin crossed his arms over his chest. "you sure you can handle him?"

"i don't see why not."
***
thank you so much for more than three hundred reads.
i'm grateful that you read through my shitty chapters and even vote for them once in a while.
i appreciate each and everyone of you and thank you for being the audience that inspires me to write more.
i love y'all. 💕💓💖💗💝💘