N E W Y E A R , N E W L O V E | JENHOPE

"jennie, come on! we're gonna be late!" jisoo yelled from the bottom of the stairs. the older brunette was stressing, grabbing as many presents as she could from beneath their residential christmas tree.

jennie looked at her reflection in her bedroom mirror. no strand was out of place from her perfectly straightened hair, and the hem of her gold sequined dress hung sleekly against her body. her makeup was as fresh as she put it on and her heels were clean and ready to party the night away. "coming!"

she grabbed her purse from her night stand and immediately rushed down the stairs, careful enough to stop herself from tripping.

jisoo was a very impatient person and she trusted everyone around her to be punctual at all times. of course she appreciated her sister's sine qua non attitude towards proper etiquette but there were times that it irked her to no end. for example, today.

it was december 31st and as per tradition, they were set to attend a new year's eve party hosted by one of their closest friends, lalisa and her husband jungkook. it was a simple get-together to reminisce the past year and hopefully mingle with new people.

jennie, when it came to social events like these, treasured the time it took to prepare the perfect guise. she lived by the phrase 'dress to impress', but sadly her sister was paying more attention to being early instead of looking presentable.

"you took forever!" jisoo rolled her eyes and opened the door. her car keys dangling in her hands, "grab the other gifts then let's go."

...

it was already ten o'clock in the evening when the party was in full swing, sadly, she was ditched once again by jisoo who decided to join her boyfriend, taehyung for some drinks. darn. the universe was really determined on making her night out miserable.

jennie leaned back against the comfortable couch, taking a moment to look back on the past year. throughout the 12 month cycle, she realized that she was the only one among her friends who wasn't celebrating their love life. jisoo and taehyung were engaged, lisa and jungkook were celebrating their 2nd year of marriage and roseanne (who around here— somewhere) had serendipitously met jimin.

now she was parading herself as the third wheel whenever she went out with one or all of these three couples.

she took a sip of the champagne. it's so hard to be single.

"jennie unnie!" lalisa rushed in to greet her with a big kiss on her cheek. she was always the clingy one among her group of friends, probably because she was the youngest and had grown accustomed to their presence.

jennie faked a sob, "my make up was already so perfect."

lisa smiled cheekily. "you can always touch up, unnie. besides, you look wonderful."

"i could say the same for you," the older narrowed her eyes, "you seem to be more blooming these days, lisa. is a baby on the way?"

in a matter of seconds, the younger was a blushing mess. "no. not yet."

"but why? i want little manoban-jeons running around." jennie pouted.

"and i want to see you with someone."

"but i'm here with you." she feigned zaniness.