S U N S H I N E | HOPEJEN

hello, everyone! this is a piece that was originally publicized back in november  of 2019. i've recently realised that this chapter was uploaded online without a proper ending. to make up for my past self's shortcomings, here is a revised version with a proper finish. 

-soo. 

---

Jung Hoseok. 

Words cannot describe the joy that floods Jennie's heart whenever she hears the name, intense thumps of her heartbeat simply overshadowed the sound of drums when he was in the vicinity, and red hues cannot compare to the brightness of her cheeks whenever he talked with her.

To put it simply, Jung Hoseok is the apple of her eye, the sunshine of her life and the warm blanket on a rainy day. That is a truth dear to her heart and a secret that she's willing to take to the grave. 

Jennie always had feelings for him, although she wasn't brave enough to confess. Time and time again, throughout her years in high school, she tried. Yet when the perfect moment finally came, she'd back out and divert their conversations elsewhere. 

"Jennie!" A breathless, baritone voice yells behind her, "Kim Jennie!"

She halts in the middle of the pavement sidewalk and turns to look back. Jung Hoseok is running towards her, his hair visibly damp from sweat and his face contorted due to exhaustion. A few strangers furrow their eyebrows at the disheveled young man; what on earth was he up to?

"Are you alright?" Jennie asks when he finally reaches her. He holds up a hand and clutches his chest, his breathing gradually becoming lighter. 

She reaches into her bag. She fetches her water bottle and hands it to him. Unhesitatingly, Hoseok gingerly pulls it out from her hand-- slightly touching her thumb with his own hand. 

Jennie freezes for a moment. Her insides are going haywire; thoughts start to bounce around in mind, her heartbeat is increasing and she is trying to suppress a giddy grin from forming on her lips. She was a complete mess on the inside, but perfectly peachy on the outside. 

"Thank you, I needed that." Hoseok straightens up, seals the waterbottle and hands it back to her. She simply replies with a dazed smile. 

She shakes her head and snaps out of her fantasy. "You needed something?"

He scratches his nape and a shy smile starts to form on his face. "You know about the prom this weekend?"

"Yes," her heart is beating erratically by now, "what about it?"

"Do you have a date?"

"No, not yet." Jennie could feel the breath stuck in her throat. Is this really going where she hopes it to be? Is Hoseok really going to ask her to prom?

"Will you go with me?" He asks with uncertainty.

She's ready to burst right then and there. Her cheeks puff up as her smile widens. "Like as a date?"

Hoseok thinks about it for a minute-- he gaze moves upward, his lips purse, his eyebrows rise then his nose crinkles. "No... not exactly."

---

Jennie snickers as they walk away from the prom's venue. She didn't expect to be used as a scapegoat tonight; in fact, she was fully intent on enjoying the fun festivities the school prepared for them. Hoseok just had to ruin her plans.

She clicks her tongue on the roof of her mouth. She frowns then starts  to walk ahead of her companion. He quickens his pace and immediately catches up with her. Damn those long legs.