H E R O | BLACKTAN

"you call that a superpower?" jennie snickered as she continued lunging multiple vehicles at the giant monster before them. she was floating in mid-air, with only her psychic ability supporting her movements.

"i'm sorry to disappoint you, miss kim, but it is," seokjin rolled his eyes at the brunette, it was unlikely that she'd see that given their difference in altitude.

"it's fucking useless!" jisoo remarked as she zoomed past the monster's eyes, distracting him. the monster frantically turned his body around, trying to grasp her petite frame into his hands; causing destruction among numerous city skyscrapers along the process.

this was what the quotidian afternoon looked like to this lot-- fighting off huge monsters, bickering in between, destruction and havoc all throughout and victory at the end. in the early stages of their crime fighting agendum, there had been a thrill to using their powers to defeat dangerous beings who plagued the safety of humanity. there had been nonpareil satisfaction to restoring peace to the community at the end of a big fight.

now; however, the only thrill this troupe of superheroes have is knowing that when they return to headquarters, they're given free will to devour the buffet table.

"useless?" seokjin yelled, offended, "watch me!"

he whacked his gloved palms against one another and rubbed them together to create some friction. without a second to lose, a banana manifested between his hands. he briskly peeled the banana from the bottom--

"what the hell?" namjoon, who was busily incapacitating the monster through inflicting blindness and loss of hearing, arched a brow at his comrade, "you peel bananas that way?"

"it's easier," seokjin dangled the banana skin in his fingers before popping the fruit into his mouth, "it feels refreshing to have a healthy snack in the middle of a fight."

"you won't feel refreshed when i choke you to death!" jisoo shrieked as she wrapped a marine rope around the gigantic monster's neck-- which he barely had by the way. this hideous being's head was far too large. "do something!"

"wait a minute." seokjin strategically dropped the peels onto the grass, right where the beast would inevitably step on it.

his plan had worked and now the beast was falling.

falling onto him. he felt nauseous and screamed at the top of his lungs, even before the humongous body plummeted on top of him.

...

"poor thing," chaeyoung sighed as she placed her hand on seokjin's hand, "he completely blue screened."

"well, he's not necessarily broken and irreparable, is he?" jennie remarked matter-of-factly whilst she continued stuffing her mouth with the stash of korean honey cookies  she nicked from the snack bar once they arrived back at the office.

"oh," chaeyoung's mouth turned agape, "i said blue screened because i thought it referred to the current state of jin's face-- blue."

"what happened? have i finally ascended into the land of the dead?" seokjin said, his hand over forehead as he regained a steady pace with his breathing. slowly, his face reverted back into the healthy pink glow he worked hard to maintain. he turned to his side and gasped, using his legs to scram away from the right side of his bed where jennie had been seated. "oh no! i'm in hell!"

"you're alive, dipshit." jennie hurled a cookie from her platter. instead of reaching seokjin's face; however, it had been perfectly encapsulated within chaeyoung's hands, which she used to block the food. the younger woman quickly ate it, giving a thumbs up as a sign of approval of the flavor.

"oh great. you're awake," jisoo entered the room, one hand perched upon her hip while the other grasped an ipad. she pursed her lips as her character almost got killed off. she furiously typed into the online chat, berating a member of her online gaming squad before she continued to talk, "so, according to the boss, we're having a vacation. three days in hawaii, no missions until we get back. me, you, jennie, chaeyoung and namjoon."

...

"this is the life, yeah?" namjoon said as he placed his hands behind his head and basked in the sunlight. his tanned skin glowed beautifully under the golden rays, and jin couldn't help but be compelled to do the same and have his fair share of sun bathing.

namjoon, who had the ability to inflict disability and restore destroyed establishments, was the leader. seokjin, who had the unique ability to change his powers everyday was the eldest, followed by jisoo who had the gift of flight and strength, jennie who had psychic mastery and chaeyoung who had healing proficiency. they weren't the only superhero unit in their company. a multitude of people with exceptional capabilities were in the middle of combat and mental training in order to finally debut with their own co-hero members; however, it didn't seem like that sometimes. the company president and shareholders have long been delaying the release of other superheroes, claiming that it was too risky and too early. for three consecutive, it had been the same excuse.

which is why the group of five wanted to relish this rare occasion. they seemed to have lost their compassion, once propelled by their incessant thirst for success and deliverance of justice.

...

"the meat was delicious," chaeyoung stated with a content grin on her face. hand on her stomach, she closed her eyes and moved her tongue around, as if the barbecue she consumed a while ago was still in her mouth.

"it was." jisoo nodded her head happily as she scooped some ice cream into her cone.

dinner had just ended and they were all gathered around the campfire provided by the property graciously lent to them by the company so that they could enjoy their vacation free of distractions. it was a huge mansion with a crystalline swimming pool and a picturesque view of the ocean to match-- a true paradise, for them at least.

namjoon shook the beer bottle in his hand, a reminiscent smile on his face. "i suddenly remember when we just started out, a little bit clueless but striving to do our best anyway."

"that felt like ages ago," jennie stretched her limbs and scooted further into her chair, "has it really been five years?"

"five years of saving lives and dealing with ugly beasts," seokjin cringed.

"five years of delayed vacations and trips." chaeyoung pouted.

"five years of commitment to this job." jisoo licked the remaining cream from her spoon.

"five years of being together as a team. no matter how tired we get or no matter how rough the situations we get ourselves into are, we still work well together." namjoon raised his beer into the air, signalling for everyone to join in on a pseudo-toast.

"you guys are the best teammates ever."

***

hello, everyone! how are you all doing?

this chapter was made to be a bit comedic at the beginning through the middle, yet heartwarming at the end. i don't really know if i achieved that, yet i hoped you enjoyed the chapter nonetheless.

aLSO, CAN YOU BELIEVE WE'RE GETTING THE FIRST EVERY BLACKPINK ALBUM NEXT MONTH? I-
AND THEN A BTS COMEBACK IN NOVEMBER OMG YOU GUYS

-soo.