Chapter 26

Molly's POV

I push Felix back with the other students on the ground and fly up onto the stage, standing directly across from Shockwave. She just continues to smile coldly at me.

"Why are you here?" I demand, "Are you working for Tremor?"

"You don't recognize me?" I shake my head no, racking my brain at the same time. "I always did look more like my mom, I guess. And I suppose you never saw daddy without his mask on."

My jaw drops, "Tremor had a daughter?" She nods, looking bored with this whole conversation. "Now you're working for him? Carrying out his mission or plan?"

She cackles, "My father was a fool. He wanted greatness but didn't realize just how close he already was to it. He only gave me one good thing in his lifetime, and that was powers. But no, I'm not carrying on his legacy. I'm settling a personal vendetta with you, Psyche."

"What the hell did I ever do to you?" I demand.

"You stole my father from me!

"What?"

"Daddy focused on you and talked about how great and phenomenal you were. I was his daughter, and he didn't care about me. All he wanted was your powers. He didn't know how close he actually was." She lunges at me, cutting a deep gash in my arm. She grips onto my body, shoving something into my wound again. I scream in pain and blast her away. Shockwave crashes backwards into a wall. I breath heavily, my head spinning slightly as I watch the blood rush down my arm. She pulls out some kind of remote and presses a button. Pain starts pulsing through my arm, coming from whatever she shoved into my arm. I collapse on the ground, my mind blank.

"Police!" Chief Owens screams, slowly approaching the stage, her gun on her arm, "Drop it."

"Don't even think about coming closer, Owens," Shockwave barks out, "Or I'll blow this entire football field sky high. Don't play with me." I retch, my body feeling weaker and weaker. Chief Owens stops and sends me a helpless look. I gasp for air. Then suddenly, it kind of stops.

The pain fades slightly. I stare up at the sky, unable to catch my breath. Next thing I know, Shockwave is grabbing my wounded arm. She yanks the metal thing out of my arm, making me scream in agony. My legs curl up to my chest as I cry.

She smirks, "This has been a true pleasure, Psyche. My one regret is that I now have to kill you. I'm going to miss having you run in circles." She shrugs and pulls her knife out. "Goodbye Molly." It goes into my stomach. I cough on blood. I start to zone out. Someone screams and next thing I know, Shockwave is flying backwards.

She grunts, getting up slowly. Blood rushes from a wound on her head. She grunts, "We'll finish this a different time." Then she's gone in the smoke. Felix is at my side, pulling my body up. So is Chief Owens.

"Tough it up, kid," Chief Owens mutters to me, removing the knife from my gut. She puts her hands over the wound, applying pressure. My head spins. I hear a roar from the rest of the class and the parents and teachers.

"Everyone stay back," a cop yells, moving in front of the stage. Officer Wells. A few others move up as well, blocking me off. Thank God.

"Let's go Molly," Felix tells me, helping me up to my feet, "We're gonna get you bandaged up. Let's go." He and his mum practically carry my limp body off of the stage to her car.